Since moving house and enjoying a bigger room my mind has quickly turned to bigger speakers (obvs).
Once a few improvements have been successfully sorted for the house I’ll have enough credit with Hel to change the speakers and have been considering a nice pair of AG Duo Mezzo.
However I’ve also been wondering what I could get as an alternative rather than laying out £30-40k I’d likely need to get a pair of Mezzos, and the possibility of going down the DIY route. That said I don’t know enough at this stage to even make an outline start.
My wants include -
- Sound quality at least equivalent to/ better than Mezzos
- A professional finished look (which I’m prepared to pay more for)
- Looks good in my room and doesn’t stand out like a sore dick
- Not mahoosive. Less than 6’ high and doesn’t encroach too far into and dominate the room (yeah moon on a stick I know).
- Reliable and faff free once set up
Where I need help is right at the initial concept options stage before getting into tons of detail or suggestions for stuff that won’t mean anything too me. What different designs should I be considering, and what are the basic building blocks of what I need to put together? This will help me scope the cost and budget needed and rule out certain designs.
Assume it won’t be DIY as much as pay other people to make stuff etc and I look after the key decisons and the overall cost.
Appreciate any high level pointers as I know more than a few of you have a fair bit of experience at this.
This is a great opportunity to play at spunking someone else’s money at a catastrophic failure