Early scoping out of potential DIY horns

Maybe but he at least had a pair, that’s all I know. Maybe they are still available.

No @Ruprecht, not that kind of swinging.

Thread nosedive…What happened to: ‘potential DIY’ ? Domestic concerns, cat coffins, off the shelf average…Sirs, this is not the way of the committed faffsman or the full potato.

4 Likes

This is Wayne we are talking about. He’ll either buy the Mezzos or a well sorted pair of Duo Omegas for a third of the price.

5 Likes

What I’ve learned so far :smile:

1. I was thinking of spending upto £40k on OEM speakers, or consider a DIY alternative for less wonga for my existing listening room
  2. This is wrong
  3. What I actually need to budget for is -
    • £40k for mahoosive no holds barred speakers
    • £100k for a basement conversion to house a far more ambitious/ outlandish DIY design
    • Another £40k to bribe Hel with to do up the garden and her lounge

Seriously I think there’s two separate jobs here-

One - to potentially upgrade the speakers in my existing lounge for something commercially available that gives me a bit more than what I have now, but a compromise in ultimate sound because I want them to fit in with the room and not take over it.

Two - to seriously consider converting the basement into a bigger dedicated listening room and then not have to compromise and go for a yuge horn DIY set up its size and hand knitted form won’t offend me or Hel.

This is quite likely, particularly the latter as a stop gap.

£10,000 offers considered, includes silver loom

https://gtaudio.com/for-sale/avantgarde-acoustic-duo-omega-horn-loudspeakers/?refsource=hifishark

1 Like

this is the way

1 Like

I wouldn’t go near a pair without G2 subs.

2 Likes

Why not get a quote? Maybe help decide what direction to go.

DIY effort - BD Design - Voxativ field coils

15 Likes

Fantastic :heart:

Can’t @J_B on holiday :grinning:

1 Like

I wish :sob: I’ve actually got to go to work next week :rage:

2 Likes

You have me thinking/dreaming now of what that lower ground floor could look like, could be pretty special. Even if it becomes a long term project, opening up onto the garden would be cool. Would it be a big deal to not have access through the house? Thinking that if you treated it like a separate garden building, accessed externally, you could avoid a costly internal staircase/replanning and avoid acoustic issues to boot. Could be pretty simply finished, a contrast to the main house to save too, once watertight etc. Although if it were me, with a massive budget I’d add a glass box on the back too, for the pool obviously :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think you probably need to come over and do a survey of your own under the guise of bringing your records over for a listen and a free lunch :+1:

1 Like

Sounds like a plan, need to get out and about to finally hear some proper horns :+1:

1 Like

257 posts in, sanity turns up.

AA, the definition of: “A broken clock is right twice a day.”

Just correcting your punctuation for you!

7 Likes

Hmmm, wood for the trees I say, wood for the trees.
It’s not the basement OR the room above. It is both.
Build the bass solution in the basement under the room. Doesn’t need huge money making it look good inside or to make it able to be lived in. Concrete block walls forming the bass horns in the basement, holes/mouth of the bass horns in the ceiling/floor above with grills suitably disguised, “normal” mid and HF horns in the beautifully decorated room above with the lovely garden views through the bay window.
This is the most sensible idea so far on this thread, really it is.

4 Likes