Early scoping out of potential DIY horns

ORLY? I heard a set a few years back - complete with all of the True Believers’ copper-chassis amps &c - sounded like an old-fashioned radiogram - all warm’n’fuzzy’n’super-safe. Disappointing, but of course some folk want that sound, all the nostalgia of yer nan’s front room &c.

1 Like

I am stealing this for our next brochure.

9 Likes

They sounded very forced when I heard them yonks ago in a show with AN Kondo shit driving them. Great in the midrange, pretty average everywhere else, and no bass below 60Hz.

:ok_hand:

1 Like

Tune Audio Anima I think you are on about? Greek I think. Never heard them but Ciderpig might be along shortly.
The ones further up thread that Bob and Pan were discussing are the Polish ones I think. With Bob on how they sounded.

2 Likes

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

That might not be enough pop corn for this one though🙂

Have you heard the system or have one in mind that meets your needs?

If not, lots of road trips.

2 Likes

Yeah come down this week @crimsondonkey , Claire’s away. I can introduce you to the Turan’s chilli paneer :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I think you mean hORNs? Like these -
Nope, I’ve heard these and they’re all over the show and completely unconvincing. A huge step backwards from the Finos.

Its been a while and audio memory is a fickle thing! I’ve heard Mezzos and like them as they are a bit like my Finos only moar of everything all round. I’m sure I’ve also heard Air Partners and loved the effortless scale but didn’t hear them with all kinds of music as my taste covers something in most genres.

@Jim 's A’capella are also memorable and not just for that tweeter.

I think you’re right, in the sense I likely need to re-hear and hear new stuff and use that to help shape the kind of design that is going to suit me from both my ears and my room perspectives.

I’m also in no rush and started this thread way in advance so I can gather a bit of initial info and then take my time over auditioning stuff and reaching a conclusion on the right design.

Sounds great and I will take you up on this at some point but not this weekend as Hel will be introducing her foot to my knackers if I don’t decorate and sort her lounge out as promised this very weekend :grimacing:

2 Likes

In the US for sale at the moment at $1600, make a good start.

Welcome anytime in Brighton, not looking for work as I likely won’t be making anymore big horns sadly.

2 Likes

Wot! :astonished:

You’re welcome down here too. We are in a bit of a mess at the moment but expect to have it sorted by the beginning of October latest.

Just to chuck in my hap’orth… I think Adam is right, it’s in the lower frequencies - mid bass etc where the biggest dividends for DIY are, cost not withstanding. This comes with a bigger footprint, unless you go Simon’s route with huge snail horn and open baffle but then the missus may find that visually challenging. :grin: I’d advise as much listening as poss to get your ears (and eyes) tuned to what you like. Its important to recognise that whichever route you go there will be compromise and listening to peoples systems will help you decide which set of compromises are for you.

7 Likes

Great way of putting it.

Its beginning to become a little clearer in my mind that where the biggest gains are likely to be is replacing the subwoofer bass in my existing speakers with some kind of horn bass.

However I have been spoilt by the fact that the horn mids plus subwoofer bass combo in my AGs does provide a relatively compact package which is more domestically friendly. That’s probably what draws me to Duo Mezzos.

Moving to some form of horn bass will very likely mean accomodating a bigger box of some kind which might not fit in with what I had in mind for the room.

As you say, and others have pointed out - it depends what you’re looking to gain in relative terms, and what compromises you’re willing to tolerate.

1 Like

That’s the ones. Greek, eh? Yeh, crimsondinky should definitely go Greek :ok_hand:

Japanman never really surrenders

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/japsoldiers_suicidebomber.gif

2 Likes

Some would say that flip-flops are a compromise… :hugs:

Some would say very practical

In this respect at least, he is very similar to Ulsterman.

4 Likes

Obviously I’m sat today giving Kraftwerk a spin and as if by magic the speakers sound particularly great :roll_eyes: :rofl:

1 Like

Sanity-check completed :heavy_check_mark:
/end thread :heavy_check_mark:

1 Like

The distillation of millennia in a shoe. There is wisdom here.

3 Likes