Early scoping out of potential DIY horns

Save yourself 30k and get some JBL DD9800

Yep, it is quite a lot. You could buy all of this for that much and still have change for chips on the way home.

That sub will be for the telly. There’s no way that fart box is adding anything to the Mezzo subs.

1 Like

Have I got this right? You want a speaker that sounds like a Mezzo, about the same size as a Mezzo and have a budget that just happens to be the asking price for a pair of almost new Mezzo’s on ebay?

Hmmm, what to do…

2 Likes

Nein.

That would be too easy.

I’m looking for potential alternatives that are less easy to achieve, more faffy, less likely to work, for less than the budget of a pair of Mezzo, in the vain hope that it will sound better.

5 Likes

Still on bored

Just hide these behind the Finos.

2 Likes

It’s a bit long for a forum tag line but it ticks a lot of boxes.

1 Like

Needs more bitchy put downs and micro-aggression :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I still stand by this. You could do it for less than £5k; double that and you could get it built by a local carpenter, I reckon. You could make it look ace.

Looks like the Finos have a horn mid and tweeter, with an active, dsp, reflex bass system, probably below approx 300Hz at a guess

Big gain to be had would be horn bass to cover approx 70Hz to 300Hz, like the Vitavox Oracle or Thunderbolt to keep it compact enough

Plus a pair of subs for 20 to 100Hz, like the lab subs, or a pair of SVS 16 suggested by @ICHM

Tone Scouts plus a pair of subs still fits the bill, but sooo little faff :rofl:

Just buy the Mezzos, u know u want to :+1:

Forum mission statement &c

I seem to remember that AGs have a soft driver, possibly a 3 or 4 inch dome, for the mids. I don’t know if there is a compression chamber or not. It may be more a waveguide than a true compression driver and horn system. But I’m not sure.

I have an Edgar horn with a soft dome Dynaudio driver and it doesn’t have a compression chamber either. Need for compression chamber is down to interface between driver and horn, rather than whether it is horn loaded or not AFAIK

AG info talks about tweeter and mid being horn loaded, that was the context of my description.

Yeah agreed. I’ve also been staring at the bass on the Mezzo Duos trying to work out what the flare is for. Is it to help the sensitivity at the top of its range?

Ultimately I’ve liked all the AGs I’ve heard; even the early ones that more than made up in immediacy what they lacked in neutrality. There’s no way you could DIY anything similar without unimaginable amounts of measurement and experiment faff.

If that’s true, why bother trying ?

I think what he’s saying is that to build something similar to the AGs, size wise, with similar bass enclosure would be very difficult. It is less difficult to build a better sounding but divorce inducing scrapheap challlenge. The point of diying the AGs would be to save spending 38000 quid I suspect. :grin:

3 Likes

yes, I think the flare is to help lift the upper end of the range, a little like the VOTT approach

I’ve liked the horn bits of the AGs I’ve heard, but never got on with the bass bits tbh, too much change in character for me.

agreed.

a bit like saying a Vox Palladium is just a Vitovox Oracle :grin:

Build something better! Ultimately bass means big, so build something big that works in your room.

If you do it yourself you can avoid a whole load of fuckery by simply building a huge sub and a simple straight horn. Follow the rules, and it will be great. The AGs, and most other things, are really good because they have found a way to compromise that still sounds good, but if you don’t compromise, it will sound better.

1 Like

Any room for mid way compromises, SQ to dimensions / looks ?