eBay stuff (Part 1)

Quite like this.

4 Likes

Do you have one for sale? :smiley:

That and the TTS-8000 seem the ones to have, sought after these days.

Ad in all-caps = walk-away, or end up in bits in bin-bags in his freezer when you go to collect-it…

1 Like

Nah, ROBERT HAS LEFT HIS TELEPHONE NUMBER SO ABSOLUTELY SAFE, COME ROUND FOR A LISTEN, COME ON.

1 Like

Take a hammer and your own bin bags - get the first blow in if the deal smells off / he’s wearing someone else’s skin :ok_hand:

Worst case scenario - even if you don’t like the TT, you’ll be quids in if there’s a meat shortage at christmas :muscle: :fist_right: :fist_left:

Here to help, just ask, any time :+1:

1 Like

Nope, haven’t even got one that’s not for sale

1 Like

Ah, I thought you had one of every top turntable!

I wish :grinning:

1 Like

I think you’ve had enough haha

Not selling mine, so…

The one above has some shit stuck to the lip of the deck, it should be all metal and black mat.

And twice the price it will likely go for.

The price is too high, but be careful what you buy. One at 3.5k in mainland Europe has sold at least twice and likely been returned or the buyer fallen through as the seller readvertises it after a month.

A good one that has all the bits and is not banged up, you are still looking at £4.5 - 6K. The shit ones are £3.5k.

I bought mine from a German dealer (pre 20% VAT) and it had a fault, so the dealer paid for pick-up and return and fixed the issue.

Very, very few for sale ever in the UK, so expect 20% charge.

Oh and they are all Japan voltage, so expect to buy a really nice step down that doesn’t hum much. The one I got with the turntable was pants, so invested £120 on a nice one second hand, made a huge difference.

Shipping a 34KG turntable is not easy, so expect big charges.

2 Likes

And never forget - there will be truly-unobtainium electronic and mechanical components waiting to go wrong inside a rare old deck that’s nearly as old as you are.

As in most componets older than 10 years. Today’s chipped equipment will not be maintainable in 15 years time.

To be fair, it’s built like a battleship and so long as you get it regularily re-capped, all should be well. Most of the moving stuff is all mechanical, only the arm return uses some sort of sensor.

1 Like

No question, SMD and chip-based everything makes long-term maintenance a nightmare for amateurs like me - so much so, that everything I’ve purchased recently has been chosen in part by checking top-off pictures to see what’s inside and picking thru-hole only.

Even then, thru-hole components are disappearing from inventories due to the wholesale switch to SMD…

I still wouldn’t touch an elderly Japanese super-deck at the prices they now command, great though they no doubt are.

This is all very helpful for someone that might be looking to buy one. I decided against it a while back for a lot of the reasons you outlined.

What step down did you buy btw? The one I run my Pioneer 100v stuff with isn’t the quietest.

Some great advice here. Does make me wonder what the modern equivalents are. Anything built anywhere near these levels seems £15k + by the likes of SME.

Technics SL1000r will be close if not as good
Motus STST also excellent Direct drive turntable
Both of which will have support if anything goes wrong.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at eBay stuff (Part 2).