eBay stuff (Part 1)

I much preferred them to B&W 800d and 802s when I heard them, but that may be damming with faint praise.

owned from new for 20 years

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Impulse-H6-Speakers/192743159375?hash=item2ce063364f:g:XBEAAOSwK1RcAYBh

Bloody hell I might sell mine :grinning:

Yours are fucked

Cosmetically

Bloody nit picker, they do have a certain patina :grinning:

Recall this being a copy/similar to a high end unit, Gryphan maybeā€¦

Gryphon

That be the one

Have matching but skipping CD player if anyone goes for it. Free plus postage.

1 Like

That is a Nelson Pass design so it should be very good. Itā€™ll be massively heavy and run hot so not having the option to run lengthy balanced interconnects to where you have dumped it on the floor when your hernia gives out will be a drawback.

Quite a reasonable price too (for a dealer).

Talk to @Jim about these, he bought a similar amp from me from Threshold (S300), which followed this series. Very similar design, less lights.

1 Like

Itā€™s not the same, similar design, but vastly different components. Probably a good amp, but still a NAD, so reliability will be iffy.

The Nelson Pass Threshold S300 (S for stasis) ran cool, well a little warm, but not hot.

1 Like

Iā€™ve really liked the DIY Pass stuff that I have heard (Ed, Ian), thought this might be along those lines (Class A) but offer a bit more grunt for my lazy Spendorsā€¦does seem cheaper than others out there. I have bought from Nintronics in the past too, good fellas (not Goodfellas).

1 Like

Itā€™ll be warm enough that I wouldnā€™t want to put it in a rack (if it would fit). At Ā£1000ish it is a very decent amp. Can you set it to run in A/B or is it pure Class A? I forget. I didnā€™t think Pass did cool running amps, more warm, very warm and turn off the central heating in winter.

Nice amp. Come very close to buying one more than once.

1 Like

It has a lot of heatsink, so doesnā€™t run quite so hot. I believe they are basically class A/B with the first few in class A. A 150W per channel pure class A amp would look like my Krell KAS-2 amps, or about 4 times the size with a power supply many times bigger.

I listened to something very similar but went for my Plinius SA50 instead. The Plinius was more to my tastes and can be run in A/B where it is entirely cool, which was a blessing when the alternatives (Pass Aleph or Rank Concept monos are pure class A) run very warm indeed. It is an absolute beast in Class A mode though.

Depends on the model, but the stasis runs the voltage gain in Class A with the current stage just the usual class A/B, there were some models with both in class A.

Iā€™d probably consider the Aleph designs a better amp but for no real reason than I like the circuit. They donā€™t really have any less grunt as the output impedance is low they will drive anything, being stable into a short :slight_smile: