eBay stuff (Part 1)

You could always have some Aleph 1.2s built, 200w mono blocks, 1.2kw of heat (probably where the name came from)

Or F5 turbo monoblocks at 100w.

1 Like

2 Likes

I need to give the Aleph 60’s another go at some point, you know your stuff Ed.
The previous owner of my speakers ran them with an early Croft power amp, 3 or 4 series I think, sounded very nice.

I think, you are just trying to solve a problem you don’t have.

Voltage = volume
Then you just need enough current for the given impedance of the speaker.

The spenders you have are 89db so don’t need much voltage and are nominal 8 ohms so don’t need a current monster.

Drive is damping factor/output impedance, most amps other than valve will be fine, and most valve amps are fine into 8 ohms too.

Class A, A/B, power, current output, etc won’t tell you what the amp is going to sound like.

All you can do is try a bunch until you find something you do like, but it won’t be down to how it’s transistors are biased.

Thanks Ed, yep, comes down to simply liking the resultant sound. The Job 225 I have at the moment ticks all the technical boxes, but is known for being a bit on the lean side. My pre-amp is a DIY Type 36, which is pretty transparent, so I am thinking that swapping in a different power might be the way to go.

Try @ICHM’s Perraux :slight_smile:

I like the Nelson pass amps mostly for reasons that suit the DIY builder, relatively simple, low parts count, and in the case of the aleph bomb proof.

None of those things really matter on a commercial amp.

3 Likes

oooh lovely. I’ll stop now.

Oooo local.

Perreaux

PMF 3150

300W per channel into 8 ohms.

Doubles into 4 etc…

I will never spell it correctly. Lovely amplifiers though.

@J_B?

2 Likes

For those of us who recently purchased LM amps? @thebiglebowski

Nice, I could buy these to use whilst I refurb mine. I wonder what they will fetch :sunglasses:

1 Like

John’s set @Stepmotheratomicbomb were sounding very good last weekend. I think his have rebuilt x-overs (RFC) and perhaps better tweeters.

1 Like

is chris selling his already !!:wink:

His is the off goldie.

rare mbl speakers , anyone heard them ?

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=MBL_126_Speakers_w/MBL_Stands&p=speaker&prod_id=64331&offset=

having heard the latest anniversary version , this might do the trick although its a bit overpriced and been on for a long time

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo7.php?prod_title=Modwright_Instruments_SWL_9.0_Signature_Edition&p=&prod_id=64144&q=modwright&offset=

1 Like

I’m very happy with the sound it’s just that mine are a bit tatty. They still have the part cloth finish which looks extremely grubby.