eBay stuff (Part 2)

20% of the value where that includes the postage costs + admin fee

1 Like

:thinking:

??? couple of screws short of a Fraim methinks.

1 Like

Watch out:

“ It’s already blown a few people’s mind”

From the photos I had no idea, and thought he was renting out his house! But a sound clamp
?

Edit: he is offering his house out. I fell asleep three times before I got that far.

1 Like

These seem to be the cheapest and most discrete product available, but I have not tried one, and I am mildly suspicious of silicon-only solutions, but since you’re not drawing much current should be fine, and unlike many, it is CE certified.

3 Likes

I was getting confused as well. He does seem proud of that clamp.

Missed this

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2021/from-the-vault-property-from-the-grateful-dead-and-friends/hells-angels-party-stereo-system-including-the

2 Likes

Gratuitous listing Part II :grimacing: Speaker cables discount to any Meat Man for any off EBay purchase. Furutech FI-52’s now Sold

Cool looking amps but I’ve never heard one so have no idea if they’re good or not.

The 240 seems to considered one of the better ones

For the ungrateful @crimsondonkey

Read some good things about these.

1 Like

Always loved the look of that model. Not so keen on the look of the new stuff with green lights.

3 Likes

Up way too early looking at old stuff :man_facepalming: STUDER A80 R Stereo Master Tape Recorder - refurbished | in Gloucester Road, Bristol | Gumtree

2 Likes

Adequate valve power on tap 

2 Likes

I sniffed around several mid-stream VTL pres before I bought the AudioValve, but I’d never heard any of their kit and they were generally approaching double the price, so bottled it.

Very nice and solidly built , particularly the Amp’s which are in the ‘Modern’ voicing style for light bulb kit 
 rather flexible at Tetrode = 425 watts Triode = 225 Watts .

1 Like

One of the VTL design features is that they run the output valves at very high voltage. The current is kept down, so the power dissipation limit isn’t exceeded, but the voltage does lead to attrition among the valves. And since there are always quite a few of them the chances of one going pop at any given time are quite high.

To start with they ran with 6550s only. When you could get good strong GE ones the attrition rate wasn’t too bad. But when production ceased and stocks were hoovered up by bass players with Ampeg SVTs, it was necessary to turn to Russian ones. One owner on a thread I came across said he just kept a big box of them alongside the amp. Eventually VTL gave in and offered the option of using stronger KT88s and they are a better bet.

Better still are KT90s. I was a bit surprised that those weren’t the valve of choice, TBH, since they only came into being because David Manley persuaded Ei in Yugoslavia to start making them, precisely because he wanted a kinkless tetrode with reliable high-voltage capability (VTL is run by Luke Manley and his wife, of course). They’re not a drop-in replacement for the 6550/KT88 because they need a somewhat different bias voltage. But the mod needed to provide this is fairly trivial.

Apart from the voltage issue, I have to say that the one I worked one had been very nicely built indeed, and well enough designed that it measured very impressively.

1 Like

I would be surprised were the mains not capable of pushing up to Tungsol KT120 with suitable re biasing of course, they do tho draw higher filament current (up to 0.3A each).

1 Like