eBay stuff (Part 2)

I had an M3 a while back but was underwhelmed. I was using an Art Quintet power amp as I remember. Bought a Modwright LS100 to replace it which was a huge improvement but I think it very much depends what you are using it with as I soon replaced the Art with a Modwright power amp. The output gain on the M3 was an issue for me. I could never get it past 3 o’clock.

1 Like

I had an M3 phono for a few years and enjoyed it very much paired with 300B monoblocks.
The MM phono stage was very good.
They have been around a long time and the perceived wisdom was thet the M5 was the best ‘bang for buck’ in the range when looking at quality/ price.

1 Like

Ear 868pl is around 3-3.5 and has a banging phono stage

Good luck finding one however

1 Like

Woah, big

1 Like

I found an 868, or thought I had on hififorsale, but seller is unresponsive (not in the casualty sense of the word)

1 Like

EAR 868 PL is a cracker of a preamp and would suit you very nicely.

I’d recommend a Hovland HP100 or HP200 if you can find one at the right price. Looks, great sound, some have built in phono, and they have a remote too.

2 Likes

Is this from the unresponsive bloke too?

1 Like

We’ve gone from I’d quite like a valve pre to here’s a ten grand reference thing

…buy it

4 Likes

Unusually, all the suggestions have actually been valve pre amps, and not rocket launchers or sets of paint brushes

5 Likes

hold my beer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255742764881?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338468473&toolid=10001&customid=aa64f9fa-7001-11ed-9947-346466653835

2 Likes

Put your Babycham down love…

3 Likes

Indeed, why would you slum it with an M7?

1 Like

Cos’ you just love that golden sheen that it sprinkles over the sound?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EducatedFatalEyelashpitviper-size_restricted.gif

It’s actually a good point - I heard an M10 a few years ago and it sounded nothing like the M7/M77 family. In credibly fast, detailed and crisp, while the M7/77 is all about lush. I’ve not heard an M1000, but would assume it’s more similar to the M10 vs the M7.

Completely academic really as it’s, well…£50k

Yeah I was thinking m77 also tbh

:thinking::dancer:

I have heard an M1000 within a quite adequate system, and tbh i preferred the old girl M7 they had alongside it. I suspect the M1000 is more similar to the M10.
The M1000 did a lot more hifi stuff, but the M7 did a lot more music

2 Likes

I’ll be taking you up on this :grin:

5 Likes

no problem mate, i deffo owe you one!

I can pick them up tomorrow, Thursday or Saturday after 4 if that suits.