eBay stuff (Part 2)

Not like they were made by Richard Dunne. And we can say that now, because it’s difficult to sue from beyond the grave.

1 Like

But it wasn’t the amps, it was the speakers fault. Who would build speakers unable to take dc without setting on fire? Bloody cowboys.

Was it a 300b amp?

I’d forgotten about that, didn’t he also blame the fact the speakers were damped with cotton or plastic wool rather than asbestos.

I think it was a WAD based 300b PP

He’s supposedly making a copy of the one I did for @Kevin - DHT PP using 1J6/46/300B tubes. I did give him a schematic way back.

Kevin’s uses Slagle iron, but I think Rabski was using Hashimoto iron for the outputs (and Slagle for the interstages).

1 Like

I have had mine about 13 years, so I took them up to Richard’s maybe a couple of years later which is when he decided to make a pair, so probably just over 10 years ago.

Hashimoto require cupboard ageing. Tis a well known fact.

8 Likes

Even though it’s a LV tweaked one with Noble pot I think it’s overpriced @sjs may know if it’s worth this much.

It is a lovely preamp though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195092197527?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338468473&toolid=10001&customid=ccf0194e-6f36-11ed-bb7f-396534306437

1 Like

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255718072864?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=vlk0WI3LRKe&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=aIdnqRVmQUq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

2 Likes

Will have to ask Guy sometime how many ways there are of spelling his surname!

Maybe it’s someone else ?

1 Like

I seem to recall the BP control units came about in the early 2000s after I stopped making the original Model 1 and 2 SJS preamps, you may recognise the chrome knobs :wink:

These 5687 versions were very good, and this one has the foo dialed up to 11 with a full set of Living Voice looking mods bolted on.

The BP CUs later switched to the 6DE7 family of valves, hard wired on a wooden board, rather than the PCB.

I would think this amp will give a big, bold, rich and musically engaging presentation, but it has been listed for a few weeks now, which suggests the price may be a bit stiff. Another early BP CU recently sold for less than half this, but it was a private sale, it was a bit tatty as a previous owner had clearly run out of talent whilst trying to “improve it”, and didn’t have all the foo this one is sporting. I would say this is a better bet than the other one, but I am not currently in the market for a preamp :grin:

3 Likes

Already suggested that, I had one a few years ago and with the reflektor DR tubes it was one of the best preamps I’ve had.

1 Like

The border patrol is just down the road from me, may ask if I can try it out and see if the magic happens.

After hearing one of your pre’s at the wam show this year (and briefly meeting you) I’ve been on the look out for one. No joy as of yet. It was in my favourite system based around Snell A’s

1 Like

Other possibilities:

Preamplifiers
Tron Seven – Deluxe model full function preamplifier with MC phono stage, excellent condition. £3000

or

or

1 Like

Was just going to ask if this AN on eBay was better

Get an L300 from Guy and a bigger hifi rack.

3 Likes

I dont know tbh, I haven’t heard an AN UK M3.

@murrayjohnson may disagree :grin: but I find that transformer coupled line stage preamps don’t fully deliver for me. It is frustraining and I have tried to go there many times over the years, indeed I have a prototype here atm, and they do some fabulous things in the midrange and can sound wonderfully effortless, but I miss the bit that goes up to the gods, and find they don’t slam a kick drum the way I like, but as per usual, wmmv.
Conversely, you can drive just about any power amp with a transformer couple pre, i.e. the prototype I have was built to work with ATC active speakers!

The AN UK stuff is probably a safe bet if you must buy before you try, because you will always be able to move it on, the BP and Tron tend to stay with owners for years, but ideally you need to know they flick your switches before committing.

I think Emporium accept returns, @thebiglebowski is your expert on them, and I would imagine the GT Audio probably would if you chat with him. Whilst MAX is close by so give it a go

1 Like

Just a general FYI - that ANUK “M5” has been in circulation for a LONG time - Emporium had it for ages, then they sold it, now it seems it’s back.

I did seriously consider it, I think it’s probably legit an actual ANUK re-bodge/re-badgering but there’s no way to be sure. Emporium were surprisingly helpful when I made some enquiries and offered a decent discount unprompted.

3 Likes