Energy chat

Do you know what the heater power is (it should say on it somewhere) ? Since it only seems to be coming on for short bursts during the re-heat that suggests it’s delivering rather more than 1kW when it’s on.

Could well be true, although how much ‘loads’ is will depend very much on the detail - wind speed in particular, and whether cooling by evaporation is significant (blowing on your coffee cools it quite well, and quite small fans can keep sweaty people cool). If it is then maybe a polystyrene lid, with a couple of holes for people’s heads to poke through, could be floated on the water :grin:.

1 Like

Energy conundrum here, I switched my boiler of in jan and hot water in April, the hot water is controlled by a salus app and says it’s off but we still see the condensed water vapour so it’s not off. Is it possible the boiler is set to be controlled by the water tank and switches on when the tank drops below its desired temp ?

There is only two of us here and we have an electric shower and dishwasher so other than for the occasional bath we could have the glass off completely

Probably needs a plumber to come here and take a look, possibly needs a better thermostat that actually does switch it off but anyone else doing similar and managing without gas to keep the bills down? Part two of my plan is to look at solar for water heating to keep the tank op to temp

Alternatively, wear wetsuits, thus rendering the heater question moot. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Looking online it’s suggested that it’s 2kW. It may be on a label on the bottom of the pump but at the moment it’s attached to the tub so I can’t turn it upside down to check.

Where it sits in the garden it’s pretty well sheltered from wind.

Obviously when you’re bringing the temp up from say 24C to the desired temp the heater is running continuously, once that temp is reached an indicator goes green until the temperature drops enough that the thermostat tells the heater to kick in again.

I can see that if you only wanted to use the tub every Sunday evening then it would make sense to only heat it up from ambient on Sunday afternoon. I guess I was just wondering if there was a point where the desired frequency of use (ie daily or twice daily) made it more cost effective to just leave it on.

Where it sits in the garden it’s pretty well sheltered from wind.

My pub maths tells me switch it on when you want to use it.

My theory being is that you will loose heat.
If you have it on all the time you will loose heat all of the time and therefore use/waste energy all of the time, costing you more.

The next time you put it up, put 2" of Kingspan under it. I bet they will make a big difference.

1 Like

You should be careful about sitting in water for too long - as well as making your fingers go like prunes, it can give you a tendency to repeat yourself. :joy:

3 Likes

You should get one Jim. You could produce your own bubbles without engaging the air pump. :grinning:

6 Likes

Wouldn’t be fecking sheltered from the wind then, would it. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Additional heating though.

If it’s on pallets the maybe just shove insulation in the gap in the pallets?

There are hedgehogs there or thereabouts this year! Maybe next.

2 Likes

1 Like

Spiky mammals living under an inflatable sex pond?

What could possibly go wrong?

2 Likes

Quite a lot for the hedgehog if it nuzzles up too close

2 Likes

I know a few of you are/were on octopus. Apparently a fair few councils offer loan schemes too although its not proving trivial to find those schemes

1 Like

A couple of days old but an interesting read.

Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy that the markets are looking after us…

Looking after us is not the markets’ job, of course. The markets are the means by which the strong and/or lucky live and the weak and/or unlucky die.

Private Eye was making much the same point last week. Gas suppliers here built terminals a decade or two ago when our North Sea production was tailing off. Continental gas suppliers (Spain’s an exception) didn’t. Now they’re paying for that.