Energy chat

Oof

1 Like

Yep, on breakfast tv this morning they were saying ÂŁ500 per month for an average household in January. Ffs :grimacing: :grimacing:

I’m telling yis, it’s properly kicking off this winter.

1 Like

BBC News - British Gas owner Centrica resumes shareholder payout as bills rise

And the real reason for a lot of the hikes - greedy profiteering. That plus tax, lots of tax

1 Like

Seriously thinking of getting rid of the gas,or getting a metre which I know costs more but at least it will stop getting ridiculous bills

1 Like

I thought I was being pessimistic when I thought 60% in Oct :frowning:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/09/uks-energy-crisis-response-could-include-winter-power-cuts
Let’s consider the words reasonable “worst case scenario” in the context of what that was for COVID when it started out and how that ended up.

Depending on how much direct government involvement there is, they’ve shown themselves unable to plan anything other than a birthday party in the last 5+ years. They’ll do fuck all until they can’t pretend then they’ll make a knee jerk decision, probably based on the papers’ instructions, and shovel a truck of money to a friendly donor as we get hammered yet again. My only hope is that the people who actually know about this stuff have done their own plan and just get on with it.

2 Likes

Got an email today from Octopus, quite impressed.

We’ve remotely updated your smart meters so that we can connect to them. They’re ‘smart’ again.

This means that:

1. You don’t need to send us monthly meter readings
2. We’ll automatically send you an up to date statement every month (you should have already received this)
3. We collect your smart meter data half hourly (you can change this at any time in your online account

The meters at your home are what’s known as first generation smart meters or SMETS1 meters. When they were installed, they were only able to communicate remotely with the manufacturers used by the supplier who installed them. This meant that we couldn’t connect to them, which is why we had to ask you to send us meter readings manually.

Working with the DCC (the government organisation responsible for smart meter connectivity), we’ve fixed the connectivity issue by virtually moving them to a new network that we can read them from.

3 Likes
5 Likes

That bell end has suggested Ukraine and NATO are to blame for the Russian war.

Bloke is a liability.

He has, indeed. But he’s the only fucker shouting down the shit Tory fuckers and getting some views on the meedja.
The Ukrainian commission were shit though.

Don’t feed the Tory fanboi.

1 Like

I haven’t heard Mick Lynch’s missives on the war, but am perfectly willing to accept that his thoughts on the state on public worker pay can be absolutely correct, while being absolutely wrong on NATO/Ukraine.

It’s not a zero sum game.

4 Likes

Relatively to our present shower presiding in government? Not even in the same galaxy.

Also the topics are quite unrelated so why you think one obviates the other is beyond me.

1 Like

Anyone who aligns with Russia loses any sort of voice as far as I’m concerned.
It trumps anything. It’s that sort of view that saw Corbyn banished to the wilderness.

He may have all sorts of valid opinions on other things but I can’t see past that sort of stuff.
Your views may vary!