Extension cables

No no no
That is against regs. No change in CSA without going via a fuse.

BS1363 gets a bad press in audiophool circles, which is why a lot of people mistakenly use US-spec stuff (hurdur - bigger number better!), but they can take a quite remarkable amount of abuse. In an experimental mindset, I piled a mixed resistive and inductive load on to a 1.5mm “kettle lead” to see what it took to kill something (possibly me) - it took several minutes at 240VAC 32A to blow the fuse, at which point the plug was warm but not hot. The socket was a good deal hotter and had some browning of the bakelite around the contacts. The cable was warm, but no more.

Contact integrity is everything, which is why I wouldn’t advocate splicing anything to anything, but find an accountable company who makes professionally crimped leads to all the applicable standards.

1 Like

Isn’t Bakelite brown anyway? :thinking:

It’s good that you’re not an electrician.

1 Like

In fixed wiring ? This is flex (at least I bloody hope it is !). Since we’re going from small to large CSA the fuse in the plug will protect the small-section bit and will over-protect the rest.

TBH any kind of fettled-up fix is asking for trouble. If you’re going to walk away and leave it rather than stand watching it (preferably between it and the door) then it has to be done properly. Particularly if you and your loved ones are going to go to bed leaving it running …

VB

'appun

1 Like

Yep and bodging 2 wires together is asking for trouble innit.

The mere fact you were thinking about something other than a ready-made one proves you shouldn’t be allowed out on your own.

6 Likes

Adam’s overcurrent warning light solution:

8 Likes

Nuts, hot nuts…

1 Like

Poetry.