Favourite Condiments, pickles etc, wotcha got?

I thought with the run up to Christmas and the days of eating left overs to come I’d start a thread for stuff to pep them up. As it is I can’t leave a few things alone at the moment and pretty much every meal will be accompanied with one or other of these.
First up is this:

Family friendly curries/chilli is a thing around here and since the summer when @LoveSavestheDay brought a jar of it to my bake off, I have been pepping them up with it. It is madly hot but also has a deep earthy taste which adds loads of complexity. The kids dare each other to try it, which is fun too. :joy:
Another fairly recent discovery is Japanese Kewpie Mayo, which is quite simply crack in a squeezy bottle!:
It’s made with just egg yolk, no white, which makes it super eggy but I think it’s defining ingredient is probably MSG. It is madly good. Recently I have taken to stirring a spoonful of this in it: SX355 Gochujang- Korean fermented chilli paste. OMG! Layers of Umami! Absolutely fantastic with any meat. Sweet, spicy and well, just mega. LN_575684_BP_11
My mum is a Salad Cream addict and I grew up with the stuff. I didn’t eat it for a while but recently I discovered Sriracha Thai chilli sauce: homemade-sriracha-sauce-recipe-fp-400x400-c The two together are a match made in heaven. Hotter than Gochujang, Sriracha adds a chilli smack to the SC and goes really well with it’s tangy, sweet character.

Anyone got any more ideas?

2 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

Home made Mango Chutney from a recipe from an old Indian coo book. So much better than commercial stuff. Recipe available if I can work out how to post it. Really nice bite to it. I use it in cooking curries too.

3 Likes

Yes please! :star_struck:

A genuine highlight of Christmas for me is consuming Piccalilli with pork pie and cheese.
Bring it on.
For reasons it only get bought once a year (Piccalilli that is)

2 Likes

Home made plum chutney.

3 Likes

The King of pickles :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Jan makes that every year.

1 Like

quick home pickled veg (yellow onion, red onion, spring onion, baby cucumber, chopped ridge cucumber, cauliflower)

sriracha is good, as is the California Reaper hot sauce.

sorry but Kewpie mayo is like vomit- had it here and overseas.

piccalilli is king, as is a decent lime pickle.

home made preserved limes.

https://www.kushcuisine.com/products/sauces/mango-scotch-bonnet-sauce-item.html

Properly good.

1 Like

Mainly pepper, so make it good.

:joy:

That looks great. :+1:

My three jars of pickled onions should be spot on by Christmas day. One has roast garlic in it one has chilli powder and one is just onions. My tomato and apple chutney is also ready. One jar has a spoon of curry powder mixed in. I forgot to do gherkins this year so CP to me.

We also have Picallili for the governor. I can’t stand the bloody stuff! And boring brown Branston.

4 Likes

My Dad always insisted on picallili with his Xmas dinner. Everyone else dodged it.

Not entirely convinced my Mum didn’t hide the jar away, and polish up it for fresh the next year. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

1 Like

Great with ham :+1:

2 Likes

Piccalilli is the best.

A lot of the shop-bought ones are a bit insipid, but the Tracklements one is good IMO. Pricey though.

2 Likes