Gigs I'm going to. The Gyroscope diaries

That’s a blast from the past… Unemployed in Summertime was a favourite song of mine for years in my yoof…

Loraine James, in her “Whatever The Weather” guise - hall 2 King’s Place.

Supposedly “360 degree sound”. I have no idea what that means.

It means in-the-round, with PA on a high gantry around the audience, and a central hub of four cabs firing outwards, again mounted high.

Artist’s own photo of her kit from last night.

I thought the miniature keyboard said “Akai” on the back but didn’t really believe it.

No idea what the Connect 4 thing is.

Abelton?

2 Likes

Cool. Thank you.

I’ve seen the name but assumed that it was software for e.g. a Mac, rather than a physical object.

Eels last night. Great show!

10 Likes

How do you get these great photos?

Moshing right down the front, or good camera?

With my phone things look quite distant even if I’m 10’ from the band.

Lol, iphone (14) and about 10ft away.

1 Like

The Eels have always been great live. Thinking of picking up a couple of tickets for Glasgow on Sunday if Claire can get her shift swapped. Did they finish with a cover version?

1 Like

Yeah.

Set list: EELS Concert Setlist at Roundhouse, London on March 27, 2023 | setlist.fm

2 Likes

Would have liked to have gone :slight_smile: as I really like the Eels, they’re playing Southampton Guildhall next week but the acoustics in there are truly awful.

Place just sucks the life out so in front of the speakers it may be over 100dB but go 20ft back and it sounds like they’re singing into a paper bag. Shame as it’s a nice place and easy to get to but I’ve never heard a good gig there :frowning:

Reg Meuross this evening at Cafe#9. Very enjoyable.

4 Likes

What a superb setlist.

1 Like

Emiliana Torrini last night at Union Chapel

11 Likes

I generally struggle to enjoy gigs (other people are there) but this was great. Thanks Pete.

3 Likes

Very, very jealous of that one.

This is better than any photo that I might manage to take tonight.

3 Likes

:man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Now booked (for late October).

There will be loads more acts closer to the time.

I should have been honest with myself that I wanted to go and bought an “early bird” ticket instead of paying €37 more now for a “reduced” ticket. Ah well.

Might dip my toe in the water with Airbnb this time. There are some nice-looking places in Het Eilandje.