Gigs I'm going to. The Gyroscope diaries

Ryan Adams, tonight, Newcastle City Hall.
Looks like it is his one man Carnegie Hall style show.

3 Likes

It is, and it is a fantastic one man show. Getting a pint during the intermission.

1 Like

I’m seeing him next Saturday.

2 Likes

Has he been exonerated then?

Certainly don’t think there’s been a conviction.

Dexys. Bath. Sep 22nd

1 Like

The Damned, last night, Albert Hall, Manchester

Dave V looking sharp in a 3 piece early on

Twas good :+1: healthy mosh pit fueled by a mixture of long lost memories and some youthful exuberance

5 Likes

Nightingales supporting?

Yes indeed, caught most of their set, not familiar with them previously.

1 Like

Reco from @stu I think. Great film.

6 Likes

Actually yesterday evening…Focus @The Sage, Gateshead. Wasn’t quite sure what to expect tbh, but OMG! Thijs van Leer was charismatic, funny & still has vocal,organ and flute chops to die for, and Pierre van der Linden (77 years old) ws an absolute animal behind the kit! :scream_cat: The two newer & much younger band members were also very good.

Off to the same venue this afternoon to see some Beethoven & Mendelssohn performed by the Royal Northern Sinfonia & guests. :grin:

7 Likes

Got tickets to see Laura Cantrell at The Stables in June. Saw her there about 20 years ago and she was great so have high hopes.

2 Likes

Went to see a band called His Lordship in Brighton yesterday. My mates’ mate manages them and he’s been raving about them. Anyway, it’s the current Bass player with the Pretenders and a couple of locals and they are very good indeed.

So good Chrissie turned up at the Prince Albert to see them too. My mate Andy even managed to talk her into a photo (she hates having her photo taken).

The support act were my favourite though. Air Cooled. Listening to them now.

11 Likes

Saw them supporting Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit at Hammersmith last year.
James Walbourne is the guitarist from the Pretenders.
I have also seen him in the ‘folk’ duo The Rails with his wife Kami Thompson.

Apparantly when they met Kami asked him what he did, he said he was a guitarist.

She said, ‘My Dad plays guitar you will have to meet him’
'‘Oh Yeah’ said Walbourne ‘Who is your Dad then?’ (Thinking ‘I’ve got this’)

‘Richard Thompson’ said Kami
‘Oh fuck’ said Walbourne

11 Likes

Hahaha that’s quality.

Went to Katie Melua in Carré in Amsterdam.
We were asked not to take pictures/make recordings of the performance, so I have just a picture of the hall to get an impression.
She’s live so much better than on her recordings. Never experienced anybody who could put so much emotion in a live performance, one of the best concerts I have ever attended.

6 Likes

Great looking venue

1 Like

It was initially a circus and is now in use as a theater. Located at the Singel (one of the canals), it’s also a great looking building from the outside.

2 Likes

The Orb and Eat Static at Bristol Trinity, May 19th. Actually I’m making a rare DJ appearance at the gig myself, opening before The Orb. And afterwards there’s also trance stalwarts Oood, and my mate Lurk (the name tells you everything you need to know). I’m kind of gradually assembling a set in my head. How to warm up for The Orb… sheesh :grimacing:

12 Likes

Is that the converted church? Nice venue, and a great bill!

1 Like