Glassware

I tend to use the traditional whisky tasting glass, but they are not brilliant if you want to add a chunk of ice.

LSA make some nice in the hand tumblers

https://www.johnlewis.com/lsa-international-bar-collection-tumblers-box-of-4-250ml-clear/p231568184 as do Reidel

These are nice but not with the weight of crystal

My personal favourites are simple straight sided or conical glasses (these were a freebie, from Absolut vodka via a bar i did some work with.

these are simple

2 Likes

Good shout. @Rob998 - Google “Glencairn”. You can sometimes get them free with a posh bottle of Scotch.

That’s also 2 out of 2 votes for Aarne :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Which you shouldn’t anyway.

1 Like

indeed but one cannot account for others undesirable habits.

We have some, a bit like this. Ours have a bit more inward curve at the top, but feel nice in the hand.
[6-Pack, 380ml/12.9oz]Design•Master -Premium Whiskey Glasses, Rock Style Old Fashioned Glasses for Scotch, Bourbon, Cocktails, Rum, Durable Whiskey Glasses for Party, Camping.: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Lanfula do some nice glasses like this twisted one -

2 Likes

We have chunky base, straight sided tumblers from Dartington…

Our original pair were ‘perfects’ but got etched in the dishwasher, so were replaced by ‘imperfects’ from the factory shop in Grt Torrington.
The fault is a very small air bubble in the heavy base.
Normally ÂŁ55 - reduced to ÂŁ25.

2 Likes

We have Villeroy & Boch “Boston” gin glasses, and if I still drank neat spirits with any regularity, the equivalent would find a place here in a shot (npi) - they’re both tactile and ergonomic (unlike squared glasses, which look neat but are horrid to actually drink from.

3 Likes

Available online too…

1 Like

I got a set of these off Amazon a few years ago, handmade so they have a cool not quite perfect quality about them…

(and cheap)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IZJHSNK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5 Likes

their highballs are nice

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IZJIC4Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_qQG1FbH8G67VT

The usual geometry used to be like this.

Price indication, by Schott Zwiesel, an OK German middle of the road brand:

Spiegelau, similar or better than Schott:

Lately I also use the Glencairn, as it is without stem, that can’t break then when cleaning :slight_smile: :

1 Like

I’ve got a few Dartington rum and cocktail glasses, this looks like quite a good buy:

or this:

I’m still amazed anyone likes whisky
Tried it once as a kid, horrendous stuff

Hope this helps the thread👍

5 Likes

It’s horrendous for any kid.
Then later on, you might get introduced with horrendous whisky that puts you off.
Or it’s just not for you, which is fine as well.
(offered the missus a dozen different malts, she doesn’t like any of them, so more for me…)

2 Likes

Wasn’t sure if the XXXlutz site would be safe to click on. :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

After today’s read, imagine my gloat when these were in eyesight at a cool £5’99 for four.

Dishwasher safe, neatly boxed and when the wife found the smuggle, useful

I love the above posts but I’m a clumsy oath

I give the first a month

1 Like

haha, can imagine that, it is here in Germany a very large shop for interiors and all that, same type of assortment as Ikea, but branded.

Did you get anything in the end?

Claire decided to buy me a set from TK Maxx… RCR :woman_shrugging:

They’re not quite what I would have chosen, but they’re not bad, quite chunky and I like the octagonal base…

1 Like