Gratuitous pictures of your Christmas food and people you didn't know were gay in the eighties

I hope they didn’t all end up in the oven……

1 Like

Adequate

9 Likes

10 Likes

My granny used to make absolutely loads and we’d have them afterwards with treacle :drooling_face:

4 Likes

Christmas Dinner menu from the Majestic Hotel. New York in 1898.

2 Likes

They look awesome. We had gluten free ones and the best I could say about them is that they were ok as a gravy receptacle. Better than nothing for FoL#2 though.

2 Likes

I’m still not ready for the cheese, and I’m fucking annoyed about it

2 Likes

4 Likes

No pate deluxe though. Curious oversight.

1 Like

Feh, it still doesn’t measure up to The Feathers in Ledbury, early 80s, where one of the “courses” of the Christmas lunch was a Sobranie black russian

The height of sophistication.

I’d guess I was 15, maybe 16.

11 Likes

I used to smoke those when I was a kid!

1 Like

Yes, but only until they have taken the meat off them, then they are in the bin. Not a problem taking a bone off these two.

2 Likes

The coloured ones as well. You were basically as sophisticated as James Bond, smoking those

1 Like

8 Likes

I remember the cocktail ones as well! They would probably be considered a bit gay these days, but back in the 70s it wasn’t a thing…

1 Like

When I was about 18 and not long moved down to London, I had a brief and intense fling with an older (30-ish), married French/Indonesian girl who smoked those.

She was about as glamorous as it was humanly possible to be, but a complete nutter. She ended up stabbing her husband in his face…

Iirc, he didn’t report it to the Police and he just paid her a fuckton of cash to just go away.

5 Likes

and Passing Clouds

I know that I was young then, but as far as I understand, nobody really thought that Freddie Mercury, Elton John, Kenny Everett etc were gay. Which in hindsight is a bit odd. Was it the same for everyone, or was my family particularly naive/stupid?

1 Like

No, there really wasn’t much awareness those days. At least outside London anyway.

1 Like

For some reason I didn’t think Freddy was gay, until the Radio GaGa era, but knew Kenny and Elton were, when Elton got married to Renate I was totally “WTF?”

1 Like