Head-Fi Question

I have one of those. It is completely shite. In fact, I would rather use the BT headphones than that thing and my decent cans. Phones in general are piss poor as headphone amps. Not worth no pounds and nine fucking pence IMHO.

I have to use a USB-C to phono for my Pixel 2 phone which does not have an audio out.

Ok, but iThings are generally regarded as having not very shit inbuilt DACs.

I can get that a 99p cable might be utter crap, but what about trying a better one, like at 10 or 20x the price, from a decent supplier with your Sennheisers (which are the same as mine, and really quite good) before dropping a ton and half on an offboard DAC, and £30 on a thing to make it all work?

Fuck off out of it with your stealth cable threadz.

:grin:

We tried the Sennheisers in my old iPhone 6 via the headphone out. They are OK. Ditto out of a Notebook PC headphone socket. However the Sennheisers via the Dragonfly were much, much better. Ditto my IEMs. The Dragonfly is a dac and a proper headphone amp, so it is hardly surprising it does a better job that the cheap gubbins in the phones and Notebook. I’ll get a chance to try the iPhone 7 via the camera thingo into the dragonfly tomorrow.

1 Like

Meh :wink:

2 Likes

Fucking cable believers, get thee to the wigwam :weary:

Can you get shoulder mounted cable lifters? :thinking:

Eh? Have you dropped your cartridge mallet on your head?

The iPad camera thing arrived. Suffice to say the new set up is satisfactory, even allowing for cables and faff.

In some ways, cable foo is perfect for here. Massive faff potential, serious financial expenditure and fuck all difference made at the end :smiley:

4 Likes

Surely the Apple cables make a difference :grinning: Oh hang on…

Absolutely correct. The usual lightning to usb and a usb adapter didn’t fucking work. The apple thingy does the job.

Massively better than BT headphones so it is all win.

We need a double blind test :grinning:

Need a headphone bakeoff

I’m always tempted to go into headphone rooms at shows and shout cunts really loud

3 Likes

I’m a bit confused, as per usual, but if the internal DAC is outputting an analogue signal via the lightning socket, does the separate DAC redigitise and then re-convert to analogue?

I’ve never really been a massive fan of sitting around with headphones on, although I do like to have nice sound on planes and trains etc. However, I have to say a discovery I made in the last year or so, is that really good headphones and a Subpac together, through a decent headphone amp, is insanely good. A more immersive audio environment I’ve rarely experienced.

The dac in the iPhone is bypassed so the lightening cable is passing 0s and 1s to the dragonfly. I do a lot of sitting around in hospital waiting rooms etc so decent headphones are a blessing.

4 Likes

Thanks, I got how the amplifier bit was a good thing, but thought that if it did multiple conversions then that would be a bad thing.

Lightning :grinning:

1 Like

Meh! Feck off…

1 Like