Help me choose a windows laptop

The expensive one, obvs.

2 Likes

Are these work offerings? If so, doesn’t really matter.
If you have any other choice, I would get something with a higher resolution screen.

The Lenovo one.

2 Likes

Yes work, and they’re likely to be used most of the time with twin hi res monitors at home but I also need to be able to use it mobile too (10% of the time).

The ‘engineers’ response to almost every choice for spending other people’s money :smile:

which is the heaviest?

Power consumption?

Why an i7?

Because Excel & Word will definitely use all that processing power. :rofl:

2 Likes

indeed

Get a Surface4

Unless you are doing loads of serious computation, things like screen size, weight, how crap the keyboard is etc would be top of the list. It is no fun lugging a mahoosive, heavy notebook around, even if it has blinding processor speeds.

2 Likes

Well in the spirit of forum advice, I’ve just received a new MacBook Air which is a thing of loveliness.

5 Likes

Unless you’re gaming, why the hell would you not have the laptop?

‘Workstation’ is misleading! Its a laptop.

In that case why would you have the stupid heavy one?

I think the XPS 15 is 4.5lbs and the 3550 is 4.6lbs? Do you mean why go for a 15?

My current XPS 13 is 2.8lbs IIRC.

I wrongly assumed the XPS would be a fair bit lighter.

The difference then is an IPS panel with 9th gen cpu and better gfx (fwiw), vs. a 10th gen cpu?

Pretty much - I’m leaning towards the XPS.

Yeah, if you’ve got an XPS already then the materials on the other one are likely to be [sad trombone noises].

1 Like

Doh, it’s for McAfee/endpoint protection/key logging/service center/corporate spyware etc etc leaving 500mb ram and an i2 for actual work

1 Like

Yes I was thinking of configuring without this and choosing something less intrusive - is there consensus on a better alternative?

Are you connecting to a work network? It’s generally a non-negotiable set of security apps at that point.