Help me to like

I find this track unfuckwithable - Yes the slenky sax break three quarters of the way through needed shears to the tape (Fuck you Edit guy) but this is cocaine yacht rock so slenky sax gets a pass.

Get happy with Steely Dan, you can dance in your pants to this and spend a lump on a Mofi issue. After ten days straight you’ll want to move to Martha’s vineyard, open an organic wine and silk shirt shop that’s closed at the weekends due to your cocaine disco requirements.

7 Likes

@browellm why did you pick Steely Dan? I appreciate you could have picked others but what drew to you to them first?

The problem with them is slightly industry specific. Separating the output of a pretty tight and entertaining band from some fucking blowhard talking about how many versions of Aja he (and it’s always a he) owns is hard. My suggestion- odd as it may seem- is to listen in the car. I think I enjoyed them more once the hi-fi angle was nuked.

1 Like

You will know you’ve ‘Got’ Steely Dan when you glance in the mirror and this is looking back at you

3 Likes

The best Dan track bar none

I got into them in the mid seventies listening to stuff like Reeling in the Years and Do It Again. Bought a few of their early albums, but lost interest when their later offerings got a bit too jazzy for my tastes.

I have 8 Steely Dan albums on vinyl.
I can’t remember the last time I played one

I love Steely Dan but really had to work at it. I completely understand why you find them difficult. It’s the very thing you don’t like (lift music) which makes them great. It’s slick and pleased with itself and it jarrs against the often sly, darkly humourous lyrics which are quite often about people who are slick and pleased with themselves! There is something to the immaculate playing and production that draws you in once you get it. They have great tunes and monster grooves but great subtlety too.

Hey Nineteen from Goucho: by this time they were burning themselves out, the production here is almost painfully polished. The lyrics concern a mid forties music exec who is in love with himself, high on tequila and cocaine and is barely noticing the beautiful 19 year old girl he is dating.

1 Like
3 Likes

My Old School is another cracker

1 Like

Reasons to like ‘Steely’

*They named themselves after a dildo in the William Burroughs novel Naked Lunch. …

Dark as a dark thing…

I’m not a huge dan fan either so I’d suggest that the Greatest Hits 72-78 lp may be all the dan you need. Great album.

Then produced music unbefitting for The Great Uncle Bill.
Love his ode to @Jim

I beg to differ. If you want a best of… then you need this…

Happy to defer to you on this :smiley:

1 Like

It’s presumably a bit like wife swapping in middle age? All the other audiophiles like it, so there must be something in it…

Be confident in your past choices that have led you to here. Here is fine. You don’t need to experiment. Dan-curious is just a phase.

2 Likes

I’m always confusing Steely Dan/Boz Scaggs/The Doobie Brothers.

1 Like

3 Likes