Hey - You, don't digitize my Foo MFSL

Here comes the answers - DSD it is. Fremer in on the action.

You should get it.

So it’s all in the mastering, rather than the format. Who knew?

1 Like

Fremer getting snippy wasn’t the best look. Isn’t the guy Michael interviewing the one that called this out n the first place (and Fremer has previously claimed he can easily pick out any digital used in transfer etc).

I thought he asked the right questions and got about as much honesty back as you can expect at this stage -

‘yes we use DSD in the transfer of one step, including the forthcoming Thriller release’
‘yeah we probably need to label these so the customer has a clearer idea of what they are and aren’t getting for their money’

lol

5 Likes

Zackly, this revelation has called out his golden eared claims and he doesn’t like it one bit.

1 Like

Not the full picture. Vinyl composition, plating and pressing also have a bearing on quality. Certainly the mastering is the crux of this meltdown, specifically the less than clear marketing / messaging Mofi have used over the last ten - fifteen years or so. (Fact is the tapes are also deteriorating)

Nothing new really, any non reputable (Shifty with a smile) record dealer would propose - Get a 1st all analogue pressing in the best condition you can afford. It’s more interesting, it’s a piece of history, it’s a piece of art, It is closest to the artist, it doesn’t reduce art to 0’s and 1’s. It’s a better investment, it will probably help you loose 2 stone and become a better lover.

Buyers blind to the obvious may require a convincer or two…Any dealer worth their salt will continue with the following closers. 'Do you really love music? Then why don’t you want to hear all of it? As a final boot over the line: “Some people feel OK with a reproduction, are you serious about music?”.

2 Likes

I know a lot of guys who are deep into the one step pressings as ‘investments’ they may still be? Asses are however squeaking loudly right now.

Meanwhile, over at Analogue Productions…

3 Likes

The only thing I take from this is that they could make as many as they want, and this limited number thing is to perpetuate the myth.

Just make another stamper and off you go again after a certain number.

It’s a PR problem as there is no deception or legal issue, just a few people making too many assumptions, with little resistance from the label.

You mean like the ‘limited’ run of a mere 40,000 copies of Thriller :laughing:

1 Like

That should have set alarm bells ringing if true.
Some of these experts and dealers can’t plead ignorance if they knew this.

Most seem to be advertised in small, finite batches to preserve sound quality. My arse. To bump interest and value.

The 40k run wasn’t hidden -

$100 a pop

1 Like

The largest audiophile label gave up on Analogue and didn’t tell their customers (Used to be all analogue and never mentioned they had changed tack).

I’m guessing there is a Murcan litigation fantasist pushing for an out of court settlement to cover the entire cost of his 300K system (He bought to play the ‘special records’)

Meanwhile…WW Audiophile man is currently looking at his shelves and trying to re justify his purchases.

Knocking a nest of qualified OCD bods is rarely going to end well - The threads online are foaming.

3 Likes

I get all that. Totally.

But they never said it was all analogue and this is rather a case of not saying something rather than lying.
It’s deceptive, but then most sales pitches are.
I’m just shocked no one worked it out given the run sizes. How long does a usual master stamper last before you make it again!?

I get the significance. It’s naughty rather than criminal in reality. In the eyes of an enthusiast I can see how it is beyond the pale!

I’m not saying criminal but it squarely ticks my out of order box. I can see it will damage brand trust and trust in any relationship is everything. I’m not sure it’s fair to assume a consumer is required to comprehend the complete pressing process to ferret out the truth but I do take your point.

3 Likes

This, that community will never trust them again. I suspect that community is required to be onboard for this enterprise to succeed. It’s pretty much fucked now.

In a nutshell. Beyond the pale dishonesty.

They failed to mention that their ‘one step’ process just happened to have a process where they converted what was coming off the tape into DSD files.

Didn’t mention. As opposed to saying something unequivocally.
I don’t disagree it’s duplicitous, but the interpretation of what they have done is polarised.
Neither side of the argument are wrong, but the truth is neither are quite right.

I think they are shagged on a PR level now, rather than being exposed as car makers were on just faking tests and lying.