Hey - You, don't digitize my Foo MFSL

Just sayin’… I offer tea and sympathy for disgusted audiophiles and empy shelves for their worthless, landfill MFSL. :+1::grin:

15 Likes

^ This ^

I can barely afford the occasional MoFi disc, I certainly can’t afford mint first-pressings from yesteryonk, and if I could, I’d worry about degrading them by actually playing them!

The few MoFi I own are good, I don’t really care how they were made, so long as they sound good.

5 Likes

CDs are cheaper.

You are preaching to the converted :ok_hand:

Your picture is going on the wall of shame

1 Like

I’m not proud of myself, but a devilish combo of idleness, low-standards, and empty bank accounts conspire against improving the foo-factor.

Must admit, a few of you have given me insights over the years into how music is produced - from soundstage to record-shops - that made me realise quite how complex the interaction is throughout the chain of equipment, engineers, mixing, taping, EQ, pressing, vinyl compounds, &c, &c, &c, &c… You name it, so many variables that I have no knowledge of, and perhaps can never know, that I simply gave-up worrying.

Shedloads of the music I like was recorded and produced badly anyway, so there simply is no grail to seek…

I AM Fail.

Given_Up_37

1 Like

Oh this. Simply, this.
I’m happy if it sounds good. I’ve said before that my ears are fecked from clubs and gigs. I’m now happy with what I’ve got. If those who can hear the difference, and can afford, then go for the best-of-the-best. The rest of us can play music and enjoy it.
(Grenade launched, Incomming expected)

2 Likes

Agree entirely. At my age, HF hearing is shagged, so that’s a big chunk of SQ that I can ignore. Much cheaper this way :+1:

1 Like

So long as it comes in black.

Are you skint?
Are you deaf?
Do you have an analogue replay system and play digital records?

Welcome to AA where copping out is more likely than copping off.

8 Likes

That’s Joe Pasquale’s new album fecked for us then :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’m soooo looking forward to Settle now

I’ve bought a few MoFi albums and most are good some are less so. I don’t buy for investment whatsoever (shudder) I buy to enjoy, so even if retrospectively it turns out that Herbie Hancock album had some digital process, it still sounds very good to me.

They built their business on AAA all the way but recently ramped up the hyperbole and the asking price to a point where I think it’s reasonable to expect quality and honesty, especially when you’re asking £100+ for specially produced pressings.

Can’t see them being able to sustain anything like the premiums they’ve been asking after this. It’s not as if they were straight about it, they only squeaked DSD after they were caught out.

I wonder how many Thriller preorders have been canned on the back of this?

MoFi has, thankfully, passed me by. I’ve known about them, but the thought of doing a Greame on an album makes me shudder.

Next venture: MoFi SACDs obviously.

And SA90s

1 Like

I love it when you’re Strict!

thats-a-paddlin

1 Like

I’m being a nob, I’m not fussed over mobile fidelity the quality has always been hit & miss. Like most re issue labels they go with ‘safe bets’ in terms of titles and that doesn’t really push my button… in fairness it’s a business not Dr. Barnardos.

I was speaking with a friend earlier who has £10K+ in one steps (Multiples of many) and a lot of the more recent Mofi’s. He’s oscillating between confused and peeved. It’s kind of the emperors new clothes, he had pride in his collection and his taste to buy all analogue, he felt digital was inferior and frequently talked up the latest release… He’s now feeling embarrassed / mugged off / ego slapped…Ass burn is real.

240 pages on Hoffman and counting (In a week)

4 Likes

I love your passion, I love the passion that many on here have - to pursue the finest sound by many and various means, often astoundingly creative ones. I genuinely admire such dedication.

I have stared into the abyss of obsession, and when I was younger and more
energetic, it stared right back into me, but I wasn’t being facetious when I said I recognised I was at journey’s end, if only partly by choice!

The abyss is filled with Promise of what might be achieved - and I’ve heard it with my own ears, and it is beautiful. Now though, I’ve had to face the fact that the annoying channel-imbalance that plagued me a couple of years back is actually in my own hearing, and when everything’s turned off, that hiss of static is in there too.

Digital, like vinyl, has its faults, but like vinyl, it always has more to give on the right equipment - more than sceptics believe, for sure. I feel lucky that my system is good-enough at papering over the cracks that it makes digital sound satisfying to me - even DAB! That’ll do for me, and is why I can’t get vexed by MoFi’s pragmatism, even if their honesty has been found wanting - which is disappointing, but as you say, they’re not a charity…

3 Likes

Have dark side of the moon on mofi
Can’t tell any difference from the Normal copy. Hth

1 Like