Holidays

Have a wedding to endure in Portugal in August so to make a holiday of it an planning a circular train ride from Paris. First class on the double decker at 200mph down south ending up at Barcelona, then to Madrid, Lisburn, wedding in middle of nowhere, Porto, Vigo , Bordeaux and a couple of stops before return to Paris.

12 Likes

For godā€™s sake man Iā€™m not made of money. :face_with_thermometer:

1 Like

You stopping in Bordeaux at all?

Donā€™t know yet, have a dozen time tables to stitch together. Probably be there for at least one night, might be two friending how many stops we put between there and Paris.

Let me know, Iā€™ll definitely stand you a pint or three. We also have a spare room if that helps.

1 Like

I certainly will, a room and beer is always welcomešŸ˜

2 Likes

Just got back from a family holiday in whitby and surrounding area with all the family in tow ā€¦lovely weather and ish and fipsā€¦ :grinning:

5 Likes

Just booked Airbnb in Costa Rica

2 Likes

Weā€™re planning our next leg of the SWCP, between Padstow and St Ives for late August.
Looking for a campsite around halfway (Newquay area) with good public transport links .
Any recommendations?

Found an affordable one in Quintrell Downs (Bus and Train Station), ideally something thatā€™s somewhat quiet, if thatā€™s possible in Cornwall in Augustā€¦

1 Like

St Ives in August is a bastard
Far to many people

St Erth train to st Ives would be a nice way to finish the trip off. Takes you right to the beach

1 Like

To be fair, we will finish the walk in St Ives and get straight on the bus back to the campsite, although maybe a celebratory beer first!

Are you planning a St Ives to lands end for the following year?
Lands end to Plymouth would also be a nice walk,not quite as nice as the north coast though

Yeah I think we will only get one walk in this year. Hopefully back on track with at least two stints next year with St Ives round to Plymouth.

Treago Farm near Crantock looks decent and itā€™s a lovely bit of coast there, Holywell Bay especially

That sounds like a fantastic trip. Not sure if you already know but Interrail are doing 50% off to celebrate their 50th anniversary. One month first class unlimited travel is around ā‚¬450 euros down from ā‚¬900, will be even cheaper if you are over 60. Might be a good option for you but youā€™ll have to be quick, sale finishes at midnight tonight.

3 Likes

My wife is taking the boy interrailing next summer, for 3 weeks. At the moment the schedule is Paris, Barcelona, Lyon or Avignon or Turin, Rome, Venice, Vienna, Prague, Berlin, Cologne. There may be a side order of Budapest, Copenhagen and/or Brussels.

Sadly, the offer doesnā€™t quite last long enough for them, you have to start the journey within 11 months!

1 Like

Iā€™m only there for 10 days, I can do the whole trip for less than 300 euros each, including comfort class on the long Paris too Barc bit. If I was there for a month, Iā€™d jump on that offer.

Makes you realise just how expensive our train system is.

Comfort class from

Spain-paris-barcelona-tgv-s

9 Likes

We eventually arrived 19 hrs after leaving Manchester, felt absolutely bollocksed yesterday and felt like shit all day yesterday. Today after about 12 hours solid sleep we both feel more in the holiday mood. Itā€™s very beautiful here but I think it will be our last long haul flight.

16 Likes

Lovely. Where is here, or should I just wait for @murrayjohnson to enlighten us ?

2 Likes