Holidays

:thinking:

You can upgrade to first class trains for a surprisingly small amount. Itā€™s a very nice way to see a few cities, and you donā€™t need to stay in hostels!

Personally I couldnā€™t think of anything worse than a cruise, but clearly we have very different views of holidays :grin:

You donā€™t need to convince me :grinning:

1 Like

Nephews considering the same crossing today.

If it were me, I think that discretion would be the better part of valour.

6 Likes

:astonished: I donā€™t think Iā€™d touch those in a spate like that even if I had the proverbial 10ft pole to prop myself up with !

I crossed these (Wheeldale Beck, not my pic)

when the water was a bit deeper than in the pic. Most of the stones were under the flowing stream and theyā€™re not flat or level or regular. I spent a minute or two looking round for a stick to steady myself with, but this is the N Yorks Moors and thereā€™s barely a tree anywhere, so no chance.

In the end the only alternative was a 4-mile diversion via the nearest bridge, so it was ā€˜fuck itā€™, put your phone in a watertight bag and just start walking across ā€¦

1 Like

Contemplating a drive up to the sort of Loch Lomond area in the summer. Probably stop for a for days somewhere on the way up and on the way back.

Is it nice up there in the summer? And any recommendations for stuff?

Midge net

6 Likes

Forgot about them wee fuckers. Is it quite bad?

It can be bad but itā€™s hit and miss during the season May-Sep.

If youā€™re going that far then you might as well continue on to the really lovely bits. Western Isles or Knoydart, or Assynt if you want to go further. If thatā€™s all too far then Arran.
Midgies usually not so bad until mid-May, end of May if youā€™re lucky.

Isle of Skye would be my choice. Bit of light walking around some of the highlights etc, and plenty of distilleries.

Itā€™s all just a pretence for haggis every night mind.

2 Likes

Wife has been to Arran, and I just canā€™t be arsed driving much further north than Lomond.

Depending on budget you can do a speedboat or sea plane tour from Loch Lomond. Lots of walks, rspb reserve though thatā€™s better in winter, plenty golfing if thatā€™s your thing. Luss is worth a visit for a few hours same for Balloch. Helensburgh has a few nice restaurants and is a nice town with the hill house if you like Rennie Macintosh. Falls of falloch and devils pulpit are also worth seeing. Ben lomond or arrochar alps if hillwalking is your thing. If you let me know where you are staying nearer the time I can give pub/restaurant recommendations nearby. Would defo go a little further north even just for the afternoon to do a tour of glencoe and glen etive.

4 Likes

This is ALL you need to know :+1:

Booked a week at a mill just outside Balloch. Should be right that. Just got to sort out a few days either side somewhere up north.

1 Like

Cancelled that. Now taking the caravan up there. Staying at Luss for 7 nights. Booked a pitch right on the loch. Gonna take the MTBā€™s and the new kayak.Gonna get eaten by midges. Gonna empty a box of poos and wees everyday. Gonna bbq some stuff, and drink some beer and wine. Maybe do some walking cycling n kayaking too.

6 Likes

Please tell me this is pronounced ball-ache :grinning:

Or perhaps Bollock :grinning:

1 Like

Are you hunting U-boats?

2 Likes

Okay, I will tell you if that is what makes your winky twitch.