Hoops Speaker Roundabout

Ah, I missed that then. :joy:

I thought the house was perfect despite the debate as to how commodious the garaging was.

2 Likes

Great stuff Rob.

Mucho enjoy !

You obviously forgot about the dubious integrated appliances.

Oh yeah, the NotFreezer. Silly me…:pensive:

2 Likes

Stabbed in the back by one’s own fambly… :roll_eyes: :smirk:

3 Likes

Sorry Bruv, I have a cold.

1 Like

Not been anywhere near Brighton, have you? :grimacing:

1 Like

No, but we do live downwind from Brize Norton :flushed:

1 Like

Latest addition, an REL Stadium II subwoofer…

System by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

System by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Also, two sets of Superspikes from Paul added to the Target stands have really helped as well, not going anywhere now on the wooden floor!

Getting any ‘flat’ low bass in this room seems to be a chalenge, despite being a similar size to the old lounge I get a strong roll off on both the SCM10s (to be expected) but also with the subwoofer. The new lounge has a large fireplace, maybe a cause?

Initially tried playing around with the filtering via a MiniDSP 2x4HD (on both the SCM10s and Stadium) but eventually after a day of experimenting, found it better without the MiniDSP and direct from the amp and using the filtering on the sub settings. Currently the roll off (low pass) is set at 43Hz but the slope seems quite shallow as it seems to be affecting the response up to around 300Hz.

Having the sub out of phase seems to both look better on the graph (Blue Trace) and sound better in the room. Red is the naked SCM10s, and Green is with the sub in phase.

SCM10 and Stadium by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

SCM10 and Stadium Full by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

2 Likes

You need bigger speakers :smiley:

2 Likes

I reckon check your measurements, it doesn’t look right. You should have a shed load more bass than that, and it should do little to nothing above 100Hz

These measurements are taken at the listening position, below is the sub output on its own.

I did expect the bass to be more linear but I have checked everything (soundcard settings, mic calibration etc) and nothing was out of ordinary.

Odd. Can you try the sub in the corner?

I might try that tomorrow, switch around with the cabinet.

1 Like

What about trying some test tones through the sub, see if it really does output stuff so high?

Oh it does, thats in the REW measurements. That was taken through the MiniDSP with the other main channels muted. I think that measurement was with it set to the maximum 120Hz setting though, not how it is at the moment.

Looks to me like you need the upper cut-off much lower, sub level much higher, and possibly some DSP for the 60Hz peak.

Oh and if you look at the HF roll-off of the sub, it’s losing about 30dB per octave, so that’s probably 4th order plus natural roll-off? That seems about right, I would have thought.

My microhouse in Oxfordshire had a MAHOOSIVE bass node right where the hifi itself sat, and a MAHOOSIVE suckout right where I sat.

Did let me use speakers that should have been FAR too big for the room, mind.