Hoops Speaker Roundabout

The odd thing is that, I’ve got it set around 9’o’clock on the gain dial, and set to the lowest roll off (30 Hz) and at medium/high levels its rattling the door (with Hey Now - London Grammar for example).

The room is ~17ft x 10ft, and the back of the listening seat around 1.5 ft from the rear wall. If you lean forward there is a large bass null so seems around optimal for this room.

You have a nice big room in your lovely new house, so I think you should wait until your better half leaves the house for a while and instead of popping for a wank, quickly drag in an enormous pair of JBLs with the help of your new neighbours and dispense with those teeny mini cereal boxes :laughing:

7 Likes

Maybe for the new Kitchen system then…

2 Likes

Doesn’t look right to me, but it is a Rel, they don’t actually do sub bass.

What’s interesting, is that in my old room (very similar ~17ft x 10ft size) you have the same ~33Hz and ~60Hz peaks but the output is a lot higher. This is a comparison between my old KEF 201 and Frugelhorns.

Same microphone, soundcard used in both those measurements and today, different laptop though.

FHL Vs 201-2 FR (Stereo @ Seat) by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

And comparison to today, set with a similar level/scale.

Primary room modes at 70 Hz and 2nd harmonic at 140 Hz both suggest 8 foot ceiling room mode. You prefer the sub out of phase as the 140Hz mode is suppressed in the blue curve rather than boosted in the green curve, but the problem is being caused by the sub output at 70 Hz, which shows a similar effect.

The lower modes appear to be around 31 & 62 Hz, which suggests Is the room about 18 ft long?

the sub is “in phase” with the speakers between 70 Hz and 100Hz, hence blue line is higher, so combined with supressing the 140Hz mode it is easy to see why you prefer it.

+20dB at 30Hz is a fair improvement, but you aren’t gaining much in 40 to 60Hz range which would be nice for some real whollop

1 Like

Yes, 17’5 x 10’5 with a 7’5 ceiling.

Below is a comparison of the old room, top, and new room, bottom. The Old one was a foot wider and had a cupboard blocking half. The Chimeny in that one was blocked off where as its open in the new room. But overall, not too different.

REW has a nice room mode calculator, you can play around with the location and crossover of the sub, and your listening position, and get some idea how the peaks/troughs may change

I’ve looked into that, and the sim output in the low frequency is quite a bit different…

the REW model shows the sub in the corner? it will be quite different there,
afaik the sub -3dB should be the low pass not high pass value, so try that at 100 Hz to match the speakers

I have just moved the sub to the corner, and the latest plot is with it in the new position, not a massive difference…

So the more I look at it, the more wrong the plots look, with the lack of bass, certainly does not seem to reflect what I am hearing but can’t work out what it might be if I have measured them wrong.

Have you got a window set?

Nope, as I don’t know what that is… :rofl:

Maybe an offset?

Powered up the old laptop, and we are cooking with gas! Still no idea whats going on with my new laptop…

Moved the sub around half a foot from the corner and now with just some simple work to damp the peaks at 33Hz and 60Hz (about -15dB on each) I am getting quite an even response.
I’ve not added any filtering above 100Hz so far.
I have applied a Bessel low pass on the ATCs, @90Hz to reduce the excursion at higher levels, and the REL is high passed at 60Hz Bessel instead of the built in crossover which is set open at 120Hz.

Downside is I have woken up today with a cold and pretty much deaf in my right ear so great timing!

That looks much better. Just that suck out. Cover over the fireplace, when listening?

Is that likely to be the suckout between 140Hz ~ 180Hz?

I really don’t know. @edd9000 or @sjs will be along in a minute, to put us straight .

No idea about the measurements on the new laptop, they are both running the same version of REW, same USB soundcard, cables etc.