Horn manufacturer options for DIY

Not sure on the driver yet but I have a lot of options as I have the ALK extreme slope crossovers so they won’t really get much to them under 500Hz. I need to be able to cross at 500Hz due to the crossovers I’ve already had for a few years.

Are you selling any of these? No need to borrow right now as I’m actually just getting everything together at the same time as clearing the room.

Those solid horns look the business.

I’ve got stacks of horns, but sounds like the eliptrac 400hz might be worth a punt. You can have the MDF versions for £75 and a donation to the forum if you want them, they would need painting. They are adapted for the B&C DCM 50 driver but easily altered for a different 2’ unit as I recall.

5 Likes

That might be just the thing. The DCM50 was the driver I was originally considering due to the paper diaphragm but it’s quite large so if it would fit those that would actually work really well.

Sounds ideal, the DCM 50 will bolt straight onto them. Like I said I will have to find them so hope your in no rush. Am due to go up to my lock up mid Jan. to sort a few things out so will bring them back with me and see how your doing at that time.

1 Like

I’ve been at this for a number of years. No rush whatsoever lol

I’ve arranged to buy the bass horns (mid bass) in February so can’t do much until then anyway.

Well by March you will have no excuse :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The bloke I’m buying the bass horns from ran a simulation for me with my bass driver and stated “With a relatively small rear chamber of 132 litres you will get at 1 watt a peak of 109 db which will match most mid horns well. The response is about 6db down at 32Hz and 490 Hz.”. I’m not sure how big that rear chamber actually is to the eye but I’m thinking the specs are looking decent here, at least on paper.

It’s funny isn’t it, once you go horn the sensitivity number are so different to other speakers :crazy_face:

1 Like

It’s a very different world where 132 Litres is relatively small !

1 Like

Yeah. I’m starting to get excited.

1 Like

He has Klipschorns so that’s probably his reference. He has ran these horns with both 12", that they were designed for, and 15". I’ll need to build the rear chamber myself.

Paul, busy time of year so looking at next week really.
Night time (from 5:30) on 2nd or 3rd, afternoon on the 4th or any time during the day on the 5th?
Are you still in North Shields?

1 Like

I have effectively made a house curve by ear having first eqd flat at listening position. Did it when Kedar visited to have a listen and with some classical it was evident that that powerful “swell” that you can get from a full orchestra was not right. We got that right and everything else seemed to improve.
We felt that there was no need for an extra driver above the Axi as the upper frequencies were good. Still fancy trying a 1" CD plus horn from 10k up (I have a spare stereo channel on the Najda and an amp free🙂). If I did that I would still have no crossover from 330Hz up to 10k. Also looked at the Viawave 145 as an alternative to a 1" and CD.
I think, however, that I would get better results from taking the 18" out of the OB and getting it into a front loaded horn with a suitably sized back chamber. Had also thought of Altec A7 or Onken cab but dont know where to start amending the dimensions to suit an 18"?

I wasn’t even thinking that soon to be honest as I know this is busy for all right now. I may be able to do the 4th or 5th. I’ll pm you.

Wallsend.

1 Like

Isn’t that too high for most 1" CDs? Mine do about 2k to 8k, with a JBL 2405 above that.

I thought he meant a tweeter from 10k. As in Compression driver with horn. Not sure though.

1" easily go to 18-20k. 2" drivers not so much.

I’ve got some 18" Drivers, for a project that will still be no where this time next year. I’ve been loosely thinking of something like this:

6 Likes

They go there, but not that well. Anyway they aren’t the obvious choice of driver for 10k up - my JBL L300s have a 1" CD and still have a 2405 above it.

They go there very well. You might get some beaming but that hardly matters at 15k+

Even a 1.4” cd will go to 20k just fine in a 2 way…