Horn manufacturer options for DIY

Well that’s the best news I’ve had today

5 Likes

Nice! Have you got a pic of this set up? I’m also looking at the Axi 2050’s.

How high does the Axi2050 go?

Probably high enough for most of us old fuckers.

It looks like it starts to roll off at 3k, but it’s only 10dB down at 10k.

Will post some stuff tomorrow when I get home in a sober state, been to the match today and on the bus home :exploding_head:! It seems fine although I eq it with the Najda.
The problem seems to be getting the bass to keep up with the Axi. I have to boost the bass and pad the Axi a lot to get it to sound how I think it sounds right in my room.
I can eq it flat from mid 20 Hz to around 15kHz at the listening position but then have to pad the Axi and boost the bass to get it engaging. Have not measured it when altered from flat to see what the response looks like when it sounds right​:rofl::roll_eyes:, I might have funny ears or a funny room!

4 Likes

It should be flat at 1m and in an anechoic chamber. In room at listening position you want a room curve. Flat at listening position is horrible.

4 Likes

Google House Curve eq

1 Like

So I’ve sorted the Edgar Bass horns from eBay, which I’m told should take me down to around 70Hz with my 15" drivers.

2 Likes

So I thought I might go back to my original plan and use a Eliptrac horn but it seems that they are no longer supplied as a full horn but might still be available as a kit. It’s supposed to be a hell of a lot of sanding.

My concern is what I could end up doing to the horn flare with the sanding. Could I ruin this or am I being a tool and it would take a vast change in shape to ruin it? Pic of the kit:

So I’m thinking about the Eliptrac with my YL tweeters or the Edgar mid range with different tweeters. Alternatively the German eBay horns as a 2-way.

It shouldn’t need much sanding, especially if it’s just tool marks.

He had a website which is no more and on there he had more photos that showed it as steps that needed sanded smooth. He stated it’s a lot of work and to be prepared as he had to finish kits that people started and couldn’t finish and he got sick of it I think.

I’m trying to understand why it had steps but can’t seem to work it out to be honest.

Mdf is a pain to finish nicely but that’s not so much about removing material as it is stopping the edges forever soaking up the finish and looking like shit.

He mentioned that as well lol

:sob:

Have it made in birch ply, easy :grin:

I’m not even sure he does the kits anymore but saw mention of it on the Klipsch forum.

Surprised it’s so many layers. Find me a 3D file and send me a lot of money. I’ll have a pair made in about a year, maybe three.

4 Likes

You should have said 3 years back!

The thing is I love the look of the round horns from the front but they are rather large. The boxes could be finished to look nice and should be a little lower.

I would definitely like to come and hear yours at some point @keith1962.

I have some old mdf elliptrac 400hz horns, 2" throat,fully sanded…which driver are you looking at using?

Also have some 240hz elliptical flares again at 2" throat, also some big solid round le cleach flares ,not sure on throat but smaller.

Welcome to borrow but might have to wait until next time i go to my lock up if things aren’t to hand, where abouts are you?

1 Like

…looks like 1" on these.

6 Likes