Ok, this is official, the music room will be finished this year. Quite a few have expressed an interest in coming up here, so I’m testing the water for a bake-off next year. Ok, I know it’s a long time off, but it would be good to know if it is a goer, or not.
It’s an opportunity to travel to 60.5 degrees North, experience Shetland and in particular, Fetlar.
May isn’t good because of Munich and June is potentially Lopwell time. September is usually the North Yorks weekender. So July or August are the best options, to me anyway (tell me if you think that isn’t the case) A bake-off here in Winter isn’t really a sensible option, unless you’re brave/mad/both but given the profile of most of the members here, I’ll not rule that out, just yet…
Some things you need to know before committing:
- It’s a fucking long way to come.
- It’s hardly worth the trip unless you’re prepared to stay for 2 or 3, preferably 4 nights (it goes without saying that you can stay as long as you would like to)
- Staying 4 nights means you need a pass from the boss to be away for 6 days, at least. Yes, it really does take that long to get here/home.
- If you come by car + ferry (recommended) it’s a 12 hour crossing (or 14 hours if it’s the one that sails via Orkney – but that can be avoided with a little bit of planning) from Aberdeen to Lerwick (very few rough crossings in the summer) there are flights from Aberdeen and Glasgow, but they’re not cheap and then you’ll still need to hire a car to Island hop – twice - after that. Car sharing and the *ferry is the way to go, I promise you.
- The weather is only conducive to BBQ’s/Pizza ovens/other outdoor cooking for maybe a few days a month – sometimes more, usually only in the Summer only though, so the chances are it will be oven/hob fayre (unless we’re lucky) but I can make plenty of nosh in advance. You will not starve, I promise!
- You must be comfortable with being around dogs. Once the two girls get over the initial shock of seeing other people they will be all over you and I won’t be locking them up for anything or anybody, sorry. They’re completely harmless, but they almost constantly demand fuss and attention.
- I can accommodate 5 or 6 people in beds, on sofas, airbeds etc. or bring your own airbed/carry mat and sleep on the floor, good for at least another 3 or 4. Any more and there’s a very comfortable camping bod half a mile away for just £12/night (sleeps 8 and can even be rented for exclusive use for £72/night) Plenty of room for tents, if you’re into that (I have a tent and there’s ample land to pitch them on) Car parking is not an issue, room for cars, campervans, motorbikes, skateboards, helicopters, etc. If you have your own flying machine, we have an airstrip and I can arrange exclusive access for you. and I’m not kidding!
- There are B&B and plenty of other holiday rental options too, if you would prefer that. A very well appointed one bedroom self catering cottage is just over the road (sleeps three – one on a sofa chair) and I can negotiate short stays there.
If all of that hasn’t put you off, please let me know if you might be interested in coming. It would be great fun to host the most Northerly bake-off yet. If any of the above sounds like I’m trying to put you off, well, I’m pretty sure you know I’m not.
Plenty of great walks, amazing beaches, spectacular cliffs and very good sea or loch fishing, if you get bored with the music.
*The Aberdeen – Lerwick ferry -
I’m not expecting any serious commitment at this stage, just an expression of interest. Suggested dates are welcome and we can hopefully progress things from there.
Provisonally interested list
Dave - OCTH
Wayne - crimsondonkey
Mark - browellm
Guy - Gyroscope +1
Kevin - Kevin
Graeme - valvebloke
John - mibby
Jim - Jim
Pete - Coco
Nick - Myrman +1
Ritchie - wayward
Olan - HTM_1968
John -stepmotheratomicbomb +1 ++
Terry - ozzyozzyozzyoioioi +1
Paul - flapland
Adam - AmDismal +2 ?
Steve - sap7
Dave - malbec
Stu - a_touch_of_cloth
Edd - Edd9000
Mick - mickbald + 2 dogs - willing to share lodge
Mike - B2T
Micky - mickyricky
Guy - murrayjohnson
Nick - nick_dartmoor
Jon - TMC
I’ll amend this as required. Overwhelming response so far!
Bunkhouses, self catering cottages, B&B, tents etc. all on emergency standby