I’ve never seen... (...because I’m a fucking palestine)

Very true Paul, most are a waste of time. There are a few exceptions

1 Like

Never seen any of the LOTR films, and only managed half of the first book(and none of the rest, obvs)

The LOTR films really are shit.

1 Like

So often true of movies which win 17 Oscars (out of 30 nominations), two BAFTA Best Films, three MTV Movie of the Year awards, gross $2.9bn worldwide at the box office and are ‘constantly ranked among the greatest film trilogies ever made’.

Someone’s going to have to edit Wikipedia though because it claims they ‘received universal acclaim’ whereas the truth is they ‘received universal acclaim except for a guy on an audio forum once’.

VB

5 Likes

I’m married since 1993 and I never seen it, nor have I seen Ghost. I find they mysteriously coincide with my needing to do something/anything else.

3 Likes

They are not as bad as The Hobbit though. The books are OK once you get past Tom Bombadil who is a dull cunt that bores things to sleep with his songs. He was obviously a progger. I believe he went on to play keyboards in Yes for a couple of decades after the Caped Wonder flounced.

2 Likes

Loved the books (part of the school curriculum) but only seen about 15 minutes of one of the films.

1 Like

This. Got bored and switched it off after about half an hour.

1 Like

The books are a gateway drug for the Silmarillion and the various lost writings.

1 Like

The Spice Girls won numerous awards and were a massive commercial success.

1 Like

JEEBUS !!!

WHAT IS RONG™ WITH YOU PEOPLE ?!?!?!?

1 Like

Frankly, I’ve got too much to be getting on with to sit through slow burners. Plus the attention span of a boiled potato.

1 Like

…haven’t you got a forum to immolate or summat ?

The Silmarillion is heavy going. I ploughed my way through it but if is not much fun in the main and utter guff in places.

The other stuff A.K.A Tolkien Jr makes a comfy living publishing his Dad’s unpublished stuff. There was a reason Tolkien Sr didn’t publish much of it. All guff.

4 Likes

Oi leave J R R Genius alone. Tolkien is beyond criticism. The Silmarillion wasn’t a book for publishing neither was Unfinished Tales which is almost unreadable. It was as you say his son that unleashed these gateways into Tolkien’s obsession on the public. For fans as obsessed as Tolkien himself they are priceless references to the immense history of middle earth that he created.

2 Likes

Not really Spice Girls - Wikipedia. Not on the scale of wiping every single one of their competitors, in every category, the whole world over, completely off the map.

And then doing it again.

And then doing it again.

VB

I agree. I loved The Hobbit when I was a kid. I read it to the kids over the period of about a month. We tried a similar thing with the LoTR but they got bored with it around the Tom Bombadil bit. They’ve all read it (except my youngest who is reading The Hobbit now). I don’t know how many times I’ve read LoTR. I’ve only read the Silmarillion once (that was sufficient) and have avoided the rest of it. The Hobbit and LoTR are sufficient (And I apologise for my understatement up thread).

I maintain my stance on Bombadil being a Progger though.

2 Likes

Meh! :unamused:

The Hobbit is the gem. I still think it’s one of the best children’s novels ever. It is an absolute joy to read it to children.

5 Likes