IC: Bordeaux Bakeoff

I thought methane was heavier than air?

Only about half the density in fact (C and H are lighter than N and O). We used to use CH4 in our Raman amplifiers at work. The laser intensity was so high that the windows got damaged or broke the beam up. We discovered it’s possible to mix the amount of methane we needed with some nitrogen and argon to achieve the same density as air. The plan was to open the gate valves on each end of the amplifier and have the gas just sit where it was for a second or two. No need for windows. Then we’d pulse the laser and shut the valves again. I was up for trying it but management rejected it out of hand on safety grounds.

Propane, butane etc are denser than air.

1 Like

I stand corrected.

So why doesn’t @Jim float like a balloon?

1 Like

Yu have mistakenly thought he is full of wind. He is really full of shit. The shit produces gas, but not enough to float away. To stay on the ground he needs to be more full of shit than gas.

9 Likes

^^^
“Explain the physics of Jim in 4 sentences.”

:rofl:

6 Likes

And get yourself banned from Norfolk bakeoffs. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“So that’s where all the dark matter is hiding”

1 Like

Would make for a great ride down on my bike

Right, these look like the possible dates that might work I think. Dates just give the weekend, there’s going to be scope for people to stay longer if required I think. These all have good availability with next door’s gites and B&B options. Pick as many dates that would work for you, and we’ll say what’s looking most popular. This is next door:

https://lesquatrepuits.eatbu.com/?lang=en

• 12-15 May
  • 19-22 May
  • 2-5 June
  • 9-12 June
  • 16-19 June
  • 23-26 June

0 voters

Exactly what I was thinking

1 Like

Lopwell clash with some of those dates

12 hour drive, blimey that’s a long stretch!

TBF I’ve found aspects of this thread a bit depressing

Bordeaux: I have excellent high-speed rail links

Forum: carcarcar

1 Like

Yes, but at the same time, all those rail journeys would require starting out on the UK rail system. Quite the contrast.

If I can go it will be by train
Getting to St Pancras or Ashford is not difficult

1 Like

I did Didcot to Nice by train once. It was delightful - one of the nicest journeys I’ve ever had. But when I got to Nice I had to get a taxi to my hotel. Long wait, excessive cost, grumpy driver.

We also drove once to the Dordogne. Slower, harder work, but still not too unpleasant. And since we were carrying a tent, stuff for 10 days’ holiday and some food and drink (Why ? Why ? We were going to France for heaven’s sake) it was more practical than public transport. It also meant we could visit places once we got there.

2 Likes

Yes, and I would prefer to travel by train for such a journey. But choosing one date at random it’s £300 for a return journey for one person. I could fit four people easily in my car and it would cost less than that - that’s what is most depressing.

1 Like

I can’t remember the specifics, but I seem to recall that covid + Brexit didn’t do Ashford any favours. Check before you travel, as they say :slightly_smiling_face:

Just St. Pancras at least for the rest of this year I believe.

2 Likes

I’ll wave at him at Ashford as I zoom past at 180mph

1 Like