Ima want a Technics

Do you have a turntable at the moment?

Sp10
SME 3012r
:+1:t2:

1 Like

If itā€™s purely an improvement in sound youā€™re after* Iā€™m sure that something like an AN Io with an appropriate SUT would be a better way to achieve that.

*If itā€™s for other reasons, pride of ownership, looks, etc. Ignore my advice :grin:

Iā€™m not suggesting the new Techy isnā€™t an improvement on an SP-10 btw, just not as much as the cartridge option would be.

IMO, of course.

1 Like

Itā€™s a lot about the shiny.
And a lot about the one box factor.
Not a lot about the sound.

At appeals to my desire for simple things that are well made and easy to use out of he box. Faff unnerves me.

IO for a man with a Paradise and a reluctance to faff, thatā€™ll end wellšŸ¤£

3 Likes

The thread is irrelevant as Steve had made up his mind before he posted!

5 Likes

As all want threads prove.
Itā€™s less a convince me to buy, more a due diligence ask before I do! Itā€™s a lot of cash even on a good deal, so worth an ask for peace of mind.

Just get it, 3 sp10ā€™s and a Sony about right round here :smirk::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Youā€™ve managed to crush my interest in the thread, right there. :grin:

2 Likes

Butā€¦

It WILL sound better! Or Iā€™d not even consider it!
Just not as betterer as a diy option?

I donā€™t think you will go far wrong. I saw one last year at Munich and it looked great. it was a static display so didnā€™t get to hear it.
Didnā€™t @JezR get one of these?

No Jez got one of the new 1200ā€™s iirc

I got the 1210GR and would consider this the entry level, the ones below are really cut down versions in the motor and chassis department.

I donā€™t want to come over salty - I like the deck. My comment was based on the simplicity of the plinth which could be easily replicated at far less a cost or improved vastly
The plinth is basically a frame.

Could look nicer

The arm is what it is, if you are speaking to Dave C, ask him about the audible differences between the standard and the Glanz

I do also appreciate the plug and play anti faff crusade and the urge for originality.

SL-1500C? They confirmed ā€œunder Ā£1000ā€ at Bristol, but wouldnā€™t be drawn on whether this actually meant Ā£900 or not.

As to SP-10R, why wouldnā€™t you? It makes most other new turntables that cost more then it look a bit pointless now, IMHO.

Go to Guy and buy a Motus STST fitted with their tonearm and get him to fit your cartridge or a new one.
All in one package that is direct drive, and will sound superb.

Iā€™ve heard the Motus several times and it is simply fantastic and Iā€™m sure will have everything you are looking for plus fantastic sound quality and you can choose between several different plinth woods and top plate finishes.

Sell both the SP10ā€™s you have and the arms and youā€™ll be well on the way to a Motus, you may even spend less in the long run.

5 Likes

SP10R - yes please

Paying a premium for an average plinth and arm - no thanks.

Iā€™d have the motor, stick it in the excellent Acoustand plinth and have a lot of money left for a really high end arm.

I have to agree with this. I really like the Motus and it looks much better than the Techie. I donā€™t know if the Motus will hold itā€™s value as well though.

Techie motor unit with a decent plinth and arm ftw :+1:

Based on my experience with the 1200G, I want one quite badly. But Iā€™m torn between the Techie package and separate plinth/arm/cart. I do like the look of the package and there are, apparently, deals to be had. Hmmmā€¦