Interesting Speakers

That is my spare room for old hi fi, boxes, bikes, paintings etc. That carpet was laid in 1976.

3 Likes

Well I loaned them to my brother who has fixed the stands to the bottom of the speakers. These are 70’s design but the mid/bass unit were replaced when the Naim 160 power amp destroyed the old ones. (No protection on the amps)

Is the carpet fitter coming back to finish it off any time soon?

Excellent, with no protection someone could batter the shit out of the amps for destroying your speakers and expect no retribution!!!

Any takers?

Stick them in the ‘scroungers’ thread Dave, someone will have them. They may be getting lost in here. Scroungers of the Abattoir

1 Like

I would like to have a play with them, it’s just getting them a bit closer :thinking:

Cheers Richie all done.

1 Like
1 Like

A friend has just turned these up - I’ve never seen the twin 18” field coil BTH cabs before -

13 Likes

Size of that Mrs!

He has two of them

Well that’s the mids sorted. Where’s da bass?

2 Likes

Ex Cinema I assume, if so do you know which one as there can’t be many left with vintage equipment still in place.

That kind of info rarely gets relayed - Dates from 1930’s so it’s quite a remarkable thing to find in that condition.

I wonder if its from the State Grays which was one of the most complete original Cinemas until it closed in the 90’s. Being turned into a Witherspoons at the moment so not impossible. Although not a fan of Tim Witherspoon he has saved a number of former Cinema’s and Theatres from the wrecking ball. They usually do a reasonable job of making the most of the original interiors.

Anyway a great find which I am sure will create a great sounding setup.

The same could be said for Bingo halls in many ways - The incredible thing is much of this equipment (Westrex / WE / BTH etc) was leased, when the cinemas closed the equipment was stripped out or damaged in situ by the company representatives as policy in many cases.

Indeed, although most bingo halls are ex Cinema’s. One in Tooting is even grade one listed and contains amazing mock Gothic Revival interiors.

Didn’t know most of the equipment was leased, nor the policy in many cases to trash in-situ. Thats such a shame and when you consider the resale value of some of it today shortsighted.

1 Like

Blame colour TV

1 Like

Volti Alura. 15” Bass. 99db

2 Likes