Interesting Speakers

I’d like to see a concrete review of them

3 Likes

Here we go :joy:

nah , you are between a rock and a hardplace to find one of them !

1 Like

:grinning:

6 Likes

2,000,000 dollars for wires, bargain :poop:

Fxt

1 Like

P.D.G. for $30 compression drivers! :face_with_monocle:

Yes, I think I’m going to investigate a build.

I used these https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-d250p-8-1-polyimide-compression-horn-driver--270-402

They sounded alright for just being plonked down and using the crossovers I set up ages ago for different boxes, bit harsh on some material but It can take me a month to get it all dialed in let alone an afternoon.

1 Like

Is there anything up your capacious sleeves that would fit into the smaller corian cabinets?

Not really, basically any speaker is a compromise between size, bass response and sensitivity.

The little speakers have decent bass response because they arnt sensitive.

A decent compromise is a 12” driver, ported, you can get 97-98db sensitivity and maybe useable bass to 50-60hz.

A 10” might get you down to 80hz which is ok with a subwoofer.

Something with a 6” driver like the small speakers will never be that sensitive, especially with any usable bass.

2 Likes

I’m all ears for suggestions around the 12" driver options.

Especially with the more rigid cabinets.

Would the Monacor SPH-315 be appropriate?

Volti Rival speakers

5 Likes

Most 12” drivers will work with the 12” horn, crossover is about 1500hz so you need one that is clean to say 3kz at least.

Then it’s just a question of box size/bass/sensitivity.

The Monacor is 91db so not very sensitive, but it will go pretty low.

Rigid cabinets of that size won’t be easy, Corian/HiMacs of that quantity would be hugely expensive. 18mm ply well braced would be fine though.

2 Likes

This one looks like a nice design:

No idea on the speakers, but I like the way they give customisations (and pricing) options on the website. Makes a change given the minimal variations a lot of companies offer.

1 Like

Aye, understood from a guitar background.
Thought I might do something interesting with a pair of these.

Just use an eminence beta12 coax :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks nice. With Clarity caps?