IO into MC stage?

Maybe. That’s about a 10dB difference. So yes, probably well within the realms of just turning the volume up. The Paradise has plenty of gain, from memory. Most systems have too much gain anyway - the enemy here is noise. I think the newer Japanese Io’s (J, M) have higher output, while the earlier ones (II, IIv) are lower. The UK ones are more like the earlier ones.

That’s what I use for UK Io’s. The Japanse transformers seem to be about 1:60 or 1:70. If yours is 0.12mV, then something like 1:40 or 1:50 would be most appropriate into a standard MM stage with 40dB gain. That gets the gain right. Then you need to get loading right - start with too high an impedance presented to the cartridge and add parallel resistors to get the impedance presented to the cartrdoge down to the right level.

It’s still designed for regular MC’s, but perhaps on the lower output end like some Ortofons. Don’t confuse parallel resistance (e.g. loading resistors) with series (coil) resistance.

If you’re getting it custom wound, then why would sourcing it be any different? A competent winder would be able to calculate for whatever you need. For off the shelf stuff, obviously, as 1:10s are pretty much ubiquitous.

The point is really that the transformer needs to be matched to the cartridge, especially with oddball stuff like the Io, so slapping any old 1:10 in front of it into an MC stage is unlikely to give great results.

3 Likes

Thanks, it’s slowly becoming clearer, although I thought the gist of choosing SUT’s is buy loads of different ones and see what suits :rofl:

The Paradise is quiet, no official figures as its DIY but its quiet with the best of things.

What is the provenance of this Jap Io?

It’s From Rick (B-Pilot), BikerBoy before him got it off (Wam) dealer.
It’s not the bent one that was kicking around ebay a while ago.

I can’t see a serial number, it’s got silver pins instead of flying leads so it’s not an early one?

Its got the dodgy ‘aged’ look, but there’s a few images very similar, a reaction to silver plating??

OK, i may be thinking of a different beast.
There was a kerfuffle on the Wam at the time about getting a Jap cart being refurbished by ANUK.
(Who would basically turn it into a a ANUK cart apart from the body).

No, it was Doug, Bikerboy.

Can’t sleep, got me thinking I should probably ask !
https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?33001-FS-Kondo-era-Audio-Note-Io-with-AN-S2L-step-up&highlight=kondo

??

That is exactly the cart I thought it was.
Note the rebuild by ANUK.

Nick (myrman) is in Northampton and has an IO - maybe see if he can lend you his SUT (Tim De Paravacini design irrc).

May even be one for sale here?

Not sure if Nicks has been modded to suit the IO - can’t find any specs online for it.

I sold Nick the HEAD

It isn’t a standard unit, it was specifically wound for an Io.

1 Like

Just to clarify when I said it sounded pretty good I meant pretty good. That in my language is better than great or very good, getting close to superb. I don’t know what kind of language to use to best describe how good it sounds.
To me it must have 0.15mv output. The volume knob on Marks preamp was at 9am for his ART9 and about 10.30am for io.
It’s surely not enough difference it make the io a 0.04mv output.
I’m sure the io fans know better than me, all I can say is I was impressed and enjoyed listening to it.

1 Like

Elsewhere on the net ANUK bought all the original Japan IO stock and re-engineered their IO, so I’m not sure who is most original rebuilder, if it is indeed that cart?

The output suggests its still IO 2 level, 0.14mv so it hasn’t had a swap out for UK IO.

Carts and rebuilds are a minefield, send a Sugano Koetsu back home and all you get back is the original old body and a brand new cart. Send one to Goldring (like I have done) and he’ll rebuild what you’ve got. Its as near Sugano Koetsu as new one?

1 Like

£1200 or so for a silver Slagle SUT (unboxed). Less for copper.

Double that, I thought?

Hang on, I’ve messed up lol

"The big question becomes how finished of a SUT do you want? I offer turnkey fully shielded and finished units in copper for $2400 or the naked transformers that then can be put into a shielded enclosure for $500.

Silver wound transformers are also an option and that adds $1200 to the price."

Whoops. That was 2016.

You’re thinking of the alternative Universe where we voted Remain and the pound is worth $1.60 :smiley:

10 Likes

It was $1.50 when Slagle wound the output and interstage transformers for my amps.
I doubt I could have afforded them if he did them now

Can’t you get the Paradise modded so that you can bypass the MC stage and use a SUT into the MM stage?

That would be my preferred option.

Not sure the Paradise has that option, I thought it was MC only due to the design?

Dunno