Is there a market for CD players anymore?

Beyond reputation (some utterly unrepairable units are still commanding solid money), something that affects value is serviceability. Esoteric stuff is still sought after because a lot of the mechs are still serviceable, whereas buying something that uses a Philips 202 at this point is… gutsy.

2 Likes

It’s a Canor CD2 VR+ - when it was working it was a lovely thing but despite the lack of a laser there is also an issue with how the fascia integrates with the drawer of the mechanism.

Hey ho I switch it on now and again to admire the lovely dot-matix display :smiling_face_with_tear:

edit - I bought the CD player from the WAM yonks ago so not meant as a disparaging WAM post more a Allan succumbed to the shiny and it is now a stupid twat. :grinning:

I’ve recently got back into CD, after getting bored of streaming and frustrated with the quality and cost of vinyl. After A/Bing some of my favourites on all formats, streaming typically comes last, with the odd LP sounding better than CD.

Similar to @spacehopper I recently bought a decent CD player (Meridian G8) off the Wam to see if it got proper use. Surprised myself, streamer is about to be sold and I’m buying the CD’S I couldn’t afford as a student for peanuts on eBay.

A good observation I recently read was that albums typically sound best on the prevalent format of the time, so perhaps the format suits my taste.

Since I moved to Wales and couldn’t really have my hifi out, I had a very nice Audio Analogue Maestro CDP, so when I moved to streaming it was more for convenience and necessity. Now I have a much better Digital setup for this that I really can’t see me ever using a CDP again, even my laptop doesn’t have a cd/dvd drive on it.

I still have the player, and my lovely Denon DVD-2900, which I used for SACD replay was well, as I simply can’t see the effort worth it to sell them. Both are silly heavy (one is 20kg, the other 8kg) so packaging and postage is expensive and players are worth what, next to nothing?

Of course I still have my 1500 cds, much to the annoyance of my wife.

1 Like

I recently considered getting a posh Japanese CD player. Then I realised that I have nowhere to put the 700 CDs currently rotting in the garage. I really don’t know if I can be bothered to rip them again after the last time (1st generation Brennan thing).

So I will just keep buying too many records.

My two CDP,'s are a Puresound A-8000 and a Micromega Stage 2, which is still my favouritest ever sounding player, despite being a touch, shall we say, temperamental.

Listening to Fergus McCreadie on a Vincent CD-S3 through a Topping D50S DAC now. I still like to have the physical artwork etc. and I’m happy with the system sound.

1 Like

At the moment, all I listen to are cds. My turntable needs fettling and I don’t have time. Thank god for the ease of silver discs.

1 Like

I’ve run the gamut of different replay formats and come full circle-and-a-bit - past vinyl and back to CD: it’s the right combo of limited faff, good resolution, no computer/comms problems, and cheap long-lived media.

There are at least 5 CDPs in the house, possibly more, unsure, some of them even work. My backup has a backup…

5 Likes

I use a Rega CD player, it could probably do with a DAC upgrade, but it sounds nice as is.
Don’t use it very often truth be told, vinyl tends to be my go to format, but i do have plenty of silver discs!

I have a small collection of beds players. They are in boxes in the spare room. Keep thinking of trying one, but would have to resign the rack and can’tbearesdeiness kicks in.

Just realised that I do have a CD player in the loft
A Kenwood DP7090 20 bit player complete with 8 x Burr Brown PCM-1702 chip sets.
Why you need 8 DAC chips for a 2 Ch player I have no idea.
Still, nice to have a spare!

Parallel outputs reduce effective noise levels.

1 Like

Thank you.
It was a well reviewed player at the time but didn’t have an ‘audiophile’ badge

I remember Richers were advertising some at 150 quid when it was towards end of life and I was playing at that level of money, but never managed to pick one up.

A month ago, I bought an old Audionet ART V2 CD player, as my CD transport broke down.
I guess there still is a market, thinking of even getting my transport repaired.
Anybody got a Philips CDM-9 Pro spare (I guess not, but can alwas ask)?

I found a comment online that said they were £400 new when first launched so that sounds about right

1 Like

I’ve just fired the old girl up and it sounds effing amazing… I think I just need to put some shelves back up for CDs… Dig out the 1000 plastic rattly cases from the loft and really please Mrs CuntTroller. :joy::joy:

16 Likes