Just ONE concert that you really wished that you had witnessed

The whole gig fits nicely on 3 LPs I’ll have you know :smiley:

I saw several dates on that tour. This was when Richard Ashcroft was going through his ‘Mad Richard’ phase. He irritated the fuck out of me to be honest. The guitarist with Verve was pretty decent in their defence. Spiritualized were invariably magnificent though.

I’d probably plump for one of the later Joy Division concerts such the 29th February 1980 gig at the Lyceum with Section 25 supporting.

To my mind, this was more preferable to his Planetary-Ego Moody Git phase that followed.

1 Like

Luckily, I had emigrated to Australia by that stage and so sadly missed out on all that.

1 Like

Still my favourite live album. Would have loved to have been there.

5 Likes

What was the significance of the jd gig?

The band I wished I would have seen most but missed was Gentle Giant.
This concert would do November 23, 1972 New Theatre, Oxford, ENG (Supporting The Groundhogs & Stray)

2 Likes

Yes @ Miami Baseball Stadium Feb 1974.
Fantastic set list featuring a very drunk Rick Wakeman.

1 Like

5 Likes

Prodigy first gig 1st Feb 1991, Labyrinth Club (formally my old haunt Four Aces), in Dalston.

Maybe it wasn’t a concert; fuck knows; but I’d love to have been at a Jam featuring Nick Drake and John Martyn.

kind of get what you mean but one would be pissed and the other wouldn’t want to be there.

4 Likes

Dick Gaughan tells a story that he was doing a sound check one afternoon for a gig that evening when a guy came in and said ‘there is someone outside who wants to see you.’
Gaughan went outside and said where is he then? ‘On that boat’ came the reply pointing to a long boat on the canal on the other side of the road.
Gaughan went over and stepped through the doors on the boat.
Martyn was sitting there with a joint in one hand and a bottle of whisky in the other
‘Hello Dick’ he said ‘long time no see’
Gaughan said he turned round and legged it, he knew that if he took one more step he wan’t going to be playing a gig that night!

If I remember correctly, the first California jam also had Emerson, Lake & Palmer (played Brain Salad Surgery cuts), Azteca, Three Dog Night, Sha Na Na, Chuck Berry (late, perhaps didn’t arrive, can’t remember, memory of lots of smoke), and Mag Wheel and the Lugnuts (amazing grouping, eh?).

2 Likes

“Seals and Crofts”, oh aye.

There’s some poor guy out there saying “yeah, I was on the same bill as Black Sabbath” and everyone is trying to look elsewhere.

Any of the dates on the Byrds 1965 UK tour.

https://youtu.be/hRzzF-WObYE

Jean Michel Jarre - Houston.

It was the first LP I purchased at around 12 years old.

1 Like

Nirvana in Sydney, February 1992, months after Nevermind was released.

Was staying with a mate in Manly and we got pissed up before the concert, being young & dumb we decided it was too much hassle to get to the south of the city, so we didn’t go. What an absolute cunt decision, I often reflect on it :frowning:

2 Likes

I saw Nirvana in their first tour over in the UK (with Tad I think) and then again a few times when Nevermind came out. They were better the first time and imo hadn’t really figured out how to do the new album in a bigger venue (at that time) and sounded to me a bit shit so apart from saying ‘I was there’ I don’t think you missed much.

You could see why they had Pat Smear tucked away at the back of the stage filling in the sound.

1 Like

Yep TAD, remember that well, managed to see them in pompey uni 3 days before I buggered off for trade training in the army.

33 years ago :scream:

2 Likes