Just, WHY did I buy a fucking valve amp and destroy it through my own stupidity? + mods are cunts

Oof !

1 Like

Is this sorted?

Sheer force of habit. Sorry.

5 Likes

It is, thanks. Needed drying out and blowing through with canned air, as per @Mrs_Maureen_OPinion’s post.

You’ll have to excuse me for not splitting my sides.

10 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Good one. A lesson learned.

Impressions so far…

Pretty good. Not as I remember EL34 valve amps; very open and dynamic.

Smooth, extended top end and mids, bass doesn’t go particularly low (ideal for my small room) but is nuanced with great texture.

Not as pacey as my SS amp though.

1 Like

Not enough PRAT?

Plenty of PRAT, just not the amp.

7 Likes

Sounds promicing :+1: let the tube rolling begin…

Just bought a quad of power tubes. The pre / phonostage tubes are a mix of AX7’s and AU7’s, though nobody seems certain on the precise mix ! :man_shrugging:

Do you know which brands are currently sported by the amp… What new 34"s have you gone for…all part of the Fun/Faff of the thermionic solution

Depending on the circuit they are often interchangeable

Not really, they’re very different electrically. An circuit designed for one is going to be very compromised with the other.

2 Likes

They are on the first gain stage of Dave’s Rogers phono stage

Must be a horrible compromise then (or one of them will be). Electrically, they’re pretty much polar opposites as small signal tubes go. They require very different loads and bias points. What is suitable for one will be completely unsuitable for the other. I really don’t get why anyone would do something like that.

12AX7 gain = 100, current = 1mA, plate resistance = 60k
12AU7 gain = 17, current = 10mA, plate resistance = 8k

5 Likes

Even I can see that they are fundamentally different.

1 Like

Cos Tel’s talking out of his arse as usual?

Back in the olden days you remember how people swapped different rotor arms in and out of the distributor on their car ?

No, me neither*.

VB

*A garage once did it to our car by mistake. Mrs VB picked it up and did manage to get it home. Just. It’s surprising what audio quality some people will live with though.