Kiss-Me-Arse Dinner

After pub-based discussions last night, we’re going for wing rib of beef. I also have two volunteers to cook, which is all win for me :sunglasses:

As a veggie I always try to come up with something different as a Christmas meal (yeah yeah, self inflicted, I know). Not really a nut loaf kind of person.

Last year we had a very nice Mexican themed dinner with traditional homemade tamales and a bunch of other spicy whatnots. Pudding was tequila and mango ice-cream, with pomegranate and mint.

Not decided what I’m going to cook this year yet although I’m leaning towards Persian (that well know traditional festive cuisine!)

2 Likes

We are going to do Persiana for lunch then turkey in the evening.

Given that at least two people on Christmas cards are from the middle east, it is as appropriate as any.

2 Likes

There are loads of mild to hot veggie curry’s that would be brilliant for a festive meal.

I usually have one as a side dish with the curries I make every Saturday (and warmed up on Sunday :smile:) Loads of great rise dishes too. Tomato or mushroom basmati rice with loads of options.

Plenty of starter options.

1 Like

This year it’s just me and the Mrs…
So we’re going for (very local) leg of lamb with rosemary, garlic and anchovies,with roasty spuds, parsnips in cock seasoning (it’s real!) and braised leeks washed down with a bottle of 2008 D’Arenberg Dead Arm.
And for pud, it’s caramelised raspberry bread and butter white chocolate pud chased by a bottle of Elysium Black Muscat.
Then the traditional Spinal Tap on’t big screen…

1 Like

Mexican Christmas Dinner 2 - The Revenge, is on :slight_smile:

Tomorrow I will be trying to design a ridiculously time intensive, over the top, utterly fussy and impossible to pull off menu.

Kippers on toast then.

Almost sorted Christmas dinner, in my head at least - but the starter and main I’ve dreamt up both have egg which I’ll need to decide which keeps and redesign the other dammit.

Currently it’s something like this :

Starter -
Quails eggs coated in smoked paprika breadcrumbs and served with a red chilli jam and green chilli jelly or maybe mousse, with coriander and pomegranate.

Main -
Fried black beans and haloumi served as a stack on a spicy tomato sauce, with a soft poached egg on top.
Served with accompaniments including home made chunky guacamole, salsa, charred sweet corn, and a lime dresssed red cabbage salad. Maybe some homemade nachos too.

Pudding -
Homemade ‘tequila and lime’ pie.

1 Like

FTFY

1 Like

Is the curry house open on 25th?

No, but Strensham services off the M5 is, so that’s still an option.

Overcooked chicken dinner it is then, got to be better than what you are planning… :sunglasses:

I think you’ll find some items are missing

I haven’t got to the drinks menu yet :slightly_smiling_face:

Before Mrs VB’s mum died we used to drive up to Northumberland on Christmas morning to be with her. It’s a good day to drive - the roads are nearly empty and the police are all asleep (so you can get a move on) and you may be lucky enough to spot people testing their new toys out - we’ve been passed by some very fast cars indeed on the M69 on occasion :-).

Anyway, unless you leave super early you need to find somewhere for a bite at lunchtime. Pretty much the first time we did this we pulled into Leicester Forest East and it was buzzing. Everything was open, plenty of staff, plenty of customers, full of festive cheer, great ! But it was only 11am. So we decided to push on to Ferrybridge since clearly the service stations were up and running and we’d be able to get the day’s first Christmas meal there. Er … no. The whole of Ferrybridge was closed, except for the petrol station. We bought the last two sandwiches, neither of which had turkey in, a couple of unspeakable doughnuts and a hot drink each from the machine to wash it all down. The car park was occupied by us and one Dutch-plated HGV with three disconsolate blokes in the front seat munching away on the same sort of thin fare we had.

Religious differences I guess. Christmas is well after Diwali and didn’t clash with Eid that year so Leicester Forest was able to find plenty of staff from the local Hindu and Muslim communities. Ferrybridge wasn’t. You might be better off with Frankley.

VB

1 Like

Rib of beef for us :slight_smile:

http://www.trbimg.com/img-54669342/turbine/la-dd-20-years-tofurky-20141114
the giblet gravy is the highlight

2 Likes

giblet of what?

Bean-curd :scream:

Vegans :sunglasses: