Kiss-Me-Arse Dinner

Free range vegans I hope!

Absolutely

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--iQAF_mKK--/sratoksxndlufsjqmqqg.jpg

1 Like

As an antidote to veganism, we shall be having Goose, Turkey and Gammon :sunglasses:

To be honest Iā€™ve never understood Turkey as a Christmas meal - I mean, if itā€™s so great why donā€™t people it eat it all year round?

2 Likes

Totally this, Turkey is ā€˜barely okā€™ and thatā€™s it.

1 Like

Some of us do. Not whole ones, to be fair, because (stating the obvious) theyā€™re big. But bits are fine http://www.britishturkey.co.uk/health-and-lifestyle/turkey-whats-so-good-about-it.html.

VB

That seems a bit biased to me :wink:

NHS says ā€œgo for turkey and chicken without the skinā€ http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/meat.aspx.

VB

We are having Beef with the skin on :slight_smile:

You do know they all come from a pig, right?

2 Likes

First one of the year

:grinning:

we do here. IMO 99% of people donā€™t understand how to roast it, and blindly following the instructions on the packet will result in a bird that is woefully overcooked as the supermarkets are watching their back WRT undercooked poultry.

Exactly, it only needs to be slowly cooked to about 63c - any more and it will start to dry out.

indeed, and donā€™t forget the temperature will continue to rise during the initial phase of restingā€¦

Canā€™t stand Turkey and not a big fan of chicken either.

This year is Rib of beef, goose and boiled/roasted Gammon.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not much more than 20C above their body temperature when theyā€™re still alive ! Page not found - Farm Sanctuary

VB

Turkey can be absolutely delicious. A quality bird cooked fast with the legs and back bone removed and then rested for an hour will be moister than a moist thing. The backbone and giblets and the leg bones (I fillet and stuff the legs) I simmer with vegetables for 12 hrs to make gravy. Served with that and trad bread sauce it is very good indeed!

edit: Basically this recipe here, scroll down to the bottomā€¦

we normally bone out the legs, stuff, make a ballotine , poach on Xmas eve, then on Xmas day brown off in the oven, with roasted crown, which has had truffle butter under the skinā€¦ lovely and moist, full of flavourā€¦

1 Like

Nothing too adventurous for us this year due to the presence of my mum and Claires parents. Experimental menus are not looked upon very favourably. :worried:

Boring starter choice of either pate or a tiger prawn/smoked salmon combo thing that I have yet to devise.

Rib of beef, turkey crown (we have to have turkey in our house, on pain of death, by Claires decree :neutral_face:) and gammon joint. with the usual trimmings. Iā€™ll roast the turkey breast down for most of the time then ā€œrightā€ way up for the last half hour so it stays moist. Beef will be as rare as I can get away with. Gammon with a coke glaze I think.

Dunno whats for dessert, the outlaws are bringing it. My money is on a Tesco Finest Xmas pudding. Like every fucking year since the new millenniumā€¦

now Iā€™ve never seen a ham glazed with white powder