Knives and Sharpening

Yes, I think a much more robust and massive blade too. Are they as sharp? I’ve never had any need for one!

They’re a lot heavier. Made for splitting through the spines of lambs and pigs.

Should be as sharp as any knife. It’s hard enough to do accurately and even worse if the blade is blunt

1 Like

The thread divisionists will be along soon. We’ll have a new one - Cleavers, blades and steels.

(and yes, I do have their first album, although they were better live)

4 Likes

but have you cut yourself stealing a knife?

Only when i was in a rush

is your cleaver sharp enough for a wet shave

1 Like

I’ve no cleaver any more and haven’t had a shave of any type since the spring of 1986

1 Like

My wood chisels are

2 Likes
1 Like

My Dad was a carpenter and as a kid I used to watch him do maintenance stuff on his tools. He used to sharpen and set his saws and sharpen his chisels on an oilstone. He never used a leather strap to strop his chisels but used the palm of his hand. It used to scare the life out of me to watch.

2 Likes

mine too but they never get much use these days. I was taught “scary sharp” which I use to this day

you really do have an amazing YouTube playlist

1 Like

I sharpen my chisels on Japanese water stones, finishing with 6,000 grit and then I use a leather strip (glued to a board) with polishing compound on it, just for the secondary bevel though. Mirror finish and as sharp as a new razor blade. No need to strop, the polishing has the same effect.

Sharp is sharp. Scary is only for blunt tools.

4 Likes

tumblr_pghhemP8sO1qdezf9o1_500

4 Likes

Have split this into its own thread because quite frankly I love sharp knives to an almost unhealthy degree.

I now need advice on whetstones for kitchen knives. What’s foo and what’s worth paying for?

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+hand-tools-knife-sharpeners-japanese-water-stones-king-japanese-waterstones-set-of-3-rutlands+jp1449set3#nogo

or if you don’t want to spend that much

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+hand-tools-knife-sharpeners-japanese-water-stones-waterstone-sharpening-set-of-3-rutlands+dk6710

Doesn’t mean it’s right/safe though does it?

There is far more enlightened thinking towards safety these days, thank fuck - that’s why accident stats (particularly in the construction industry) have been improving for years. :smiley:

1 Like

Guns for show
Knives for a pro

3 Likes

Matter of time…

2 Likes