Knives and Sharpening

It is safe TBH. Never seen anyone cut themselves steeling a knife using either method. I was in the trade for ten years and saw very few bad cuts. I only cut myself bad enough for hospital and stitches once and that was using a bandsaw.

The only way to cut yourself steeling a knife is by showing off and going too fast. Which not only dangerous but won’t be effective in keeping the edge on your blade. Steeling is for keeping the edge. Sharpening knives is a whole other issue.

2 Likes

That first set look perfect, and certainly not an unreasonable price either. They also ship to France which is handy.

Good. If it is only for sharpening knives they should last a long time. I have much thicker ones, but I also use them for sharpening woodworking tools.

The trick is to keep the stone wet (just water, never oil) They remove material very quickly, so only a very few passes are needed. You will probably only use the coarse stone if you have a very blunt blade (unlikely) or you somehow damage it and need to completely regrind the edge.

I’ve got a set of three like those but bought separately for a good bit more than that. They work very well.

I’ve certainly seen them for a lot more (the Shapton Glass and Bob Kramer ones are about three times that price) but I honestly don’t know where the quality really lies. Obviously law of diminishing returns is going to kick in quite aggressively.

I’m no expert but I’ve had the three stones for 6 years now & there’s no obvious wear except for the writing on the surface. Took me a while to get the technique right & it’s still a bit of a faff but the results are definitely worth it. Especially to see the shining edge after the 6000 stone and watch the knife fall through a tomato :+1:

My brother in law, he was given some global knives as a Christmas gift, out came the matching steel, swish swish swish, blood splatter.

Took the finger tip of his thumb off, high pressure aterial splatter across the ceiling, 3 hour hospital trip.

I still laugh about it to this day.

5 Likes

And here, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why you should never buy Global knives :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m boring and just use Henkels.

2 Likes

They make some good, solid knives tbh, (and also the Bob Kramer pass produced knives, which are :heart_eyes:)

Having watched too much forged in fire (@coco’s fault) I feel the need to make my own Teribil knives.

3 Likes

As Phil Collins rightly said “No knife required”

4 Likes

Ooh. I like a good knife thread. Have never got around to a chinese cleaver, but do enjoy a video or two of someone using it well

I find those “Gordon Rasmey-esque” ‘honing like a madman in a horror film’ vids rather annoying. I maintain my edges very carefully on my westones, quite why i’d want slap it around like a raving loon on my honig rod I have no idea. Steady as she goes. And away from the body

(worth adding, It’s not that I always the sharpening right: I had to get my utility back into shape over christmas as I’d inadvertently given it too steep an angle over time, so it wasn’t anywhere near as shapr as it used to be)

That like Dubstep?

Him a dredda dan dredd. :+1: :desert_island:

His personally made knives are some of the most exquisite pieces I’ve ever seen,

There are some very nice looking knives on that Rutland website.

I saw. I have an innate ability to find £400+ knives the moment I load up a website. Not quite sure how that works, but the results have been very consistent over the years!

2 Likes

Good man :+1:

I wish I’d seen these before Christmas , bought some crap for not much less, ordered.

Thanks paul

1 Like