Knives and Sharpening

It’s all about the wire then leather

And then he plays some metal guitar at the end. :joy:

2 Likes

Knife pfaph.

2 Likes

Has anyone bought a “Japanese knife” from Rutland?

I can’t find a word about type / hardness of steel, or whether they’re made my him or Someone Else San or what. Any ideas?

I’ve bought knives from them, not kitchen knives though. They usually just tell you that they’re made by a master blacksmith and what the material is. Often Blue Paper Steel, in which case it will be about 61 HRC.

That and they are shite, I’ve had two snap in exactly the same place as these, seems to be quite common with them.

Yup, I’ve snapped two as well - I won’t be replacing them they are shite

We’ve had Globals for the best part of 30 years (most recent purchase was 20 years ago).
NEVER had any issues. Sharp as a really sharp thing and easily honed.

1 Like

I do wonder if they used to actually be quite good and have had the quality decline over time.

1 Like

Sadly, that can be applied to a thousand brands. Almost everything is made to a price now and quality suffers.

3 Likes

Quite possible.

These people are good. I bought my Matsumura Japanese chisels from them.

https://www.fine-tools.com/messer.html

4 Likes

Had to have a lie down after looking. Pure filth that was :heartpulse::two_hearts:

1 Like

Bought this a couple of years ago…

Bought for £20 from a Chinese Cash & Carry. I had it sharpened by my local butcher. Razor sharp and very heavy. Balance is OK but you need to grip down the shank.

Next to Global for scale.

Had a little spring clean of Stronzeto’s kennel the other day, I’m not sure what goes on in his gloppy mind but it does seem he it taking the threat of glue shortages quite to heart.

1 Like

has he done a risk assessment?

You’ve been watching too much Gillian.

3 Likes

There ain’t no such thing as too much Gillian

4 Likes

Just ordered the cheaper set from Rutlands. A present for the wife’s birthday. She’s an excellent cook and ger global knives are blunt.

1 Like

They work a treat, i bought some after the reco first time round.
They will give her pleasure

1 Like