Knives and Sharpening

2 Likes

Right then, anyone have any experience with Wusthof? I cannot be arsed to make a claim to the Globals we got as a wedding present so Iā€™m looking to buy a trio (20cm cookā€™s, 8cm cookā€™s and a Nakiri as that covers pretty much all I do) and they seem both quite well regarded and have models that match those needs.

Anyone use a dick to sharpen? Iā€™m curious.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a dick knife. I mainly use it for vegetables though.

https://www.dick.de/en/tools-for-chefs-and-butchers/home/

1 Like

Theyā€™re pretty solid without spending crazy money. Iā€™d also suggest looking at Victorinox for dependable, non-glamorous but economic options. TOG are also supposed to be excellent but a little bit more expensive and probably require more care as well.

I use Victorinox for a lot of every day stuff as the slightly softer steel is a piece of piss to get an edge back on, whereas the knives with harder steel blades often require getting the whetstones out for an extended sharpen is something happens to them.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m looking for something sub 60 on the Rockwell scale and without an asymmetric edge as Iā€™ve no need for either in the stuff I do and it makes care and maintenance harder.

We chucked our old Richardson Sheffield ā€˜sabatierā€™ knife set when we moved - it was 10 years old and after my ham fisted attempts at sharpening them with the grinding wheel on the back of our old electric can opener were never the same again.
The wife bought a cheap set of masterclass or something from tk max which she like but seeing as I do most / all of the cooking I treated myself to a set of globals (might have been a mistake from reading above but oh well).
I also bought the wet sharpener to go with them as i hate blunt knives.

We bought these the other month

4 Likes
1 Like

Weā€™ve been using the same set of Global knives for almost 10 years now. A pleasure to use.
You do need the water stones to fettle them Iā€™d say.

Iā€™ve got their 8ā€ chefā€™s knife. Itā€™s pretty good for the money, but not sure Iā€™d buy any other of theirs. I either want better (and in turn noticeably more expensive, natch), or cheap and easy to run knives like the Victorinox stuff to act as ā€œcrap knivesā€

We got the 3 for Ā£150 which seemed fair to us. They should see us out :laughing:

Thatā€™s a good price indeed! I think the chefā€™s knife on its own is about Ā£100

Yep
We we got them at Southport flower show so a ā€˜show priceā€™

Ex scouse robber knives then

3 Likes

As if theyā€™d have finished with them.

Back to sharpening. I bought this at the local countryside show.

One blade takes a really abused knife to the basic cut. The next to the next level. The third to the final sharp cut for use daily.

Brilliant Ā£20,00

1 Like

What are examples of better/more expensive knives? I thought Global were pretty much top of the treeā€¦

Iā€™d love one of the 33 layer Damascus knives

Oh God no. Maybe 20 years ago, and if you liked the shape of the handles (definitely not for everyone). There are a few quite distinctly different styles of knives, so some of this is subjective and depends on grip / weight preference etc.

The Bob Kramer knives are amazing. His own custom made stuff is batshit money (think $3000 for a knife), but Zwilling make knives to his design under license.

Tojiro make some really nice knives in a Japanese style. I also really like the TOG knives, but the range is a little limited at the moment.

Thereā€™s also an entire warren of rabbit holes to get lost in once you start looking at small Japanese artisans. Incredibly good knives, but often very difficult to source over here.