Knives and Sharpening

indeed, I hated mine, terrible knife IME. Gave it to my mum who loves it.

Do professional chefs use high end knives? Certainly, the posh cutlery in my trade is to be avoided. There comes a point not far up the ladder where the cost of the equipment is disproportionate to your wage and pretty much all modern shears are lousy. There are people making small runs of tailors shears at high cost that are nowhere near the decent old stuff and I mean a world away. Itā€™s old technology, canā€™t be mass produced easily now because the skills are gone and the demand is low.

I may be wrong but I expect that most cooks would want something that feels right, keeps itā€™s edge well enough and can put up with being used day in day out for a good amount of time but can then be replaced when it gets too old. Iā€™m probably being boringly Auckland here but I reckon that adequate may be what the proā€™s are after. There must be a lot of very good quality knives out there for decent prices.

1 Like

Indeed, tools not jewellery.

3 Likes

Yep. Longevity and consistency. Good feel, well constructed grip and an edge that can sustain repeated sharpening.

2 Likes

1 Like

I donā€™t know about chefs, but my father was a butcher and the knives were very basic, plastic handles etc, but razor sharp.

Buy once,buy poundland

4 Likes

It varies wildly, and most chefs build up a collection over time. For some, basic Victorinox is fine and they never feel the need for anything else. If you see a sushi chef at work, they tend to have very expensive (and well maintained knives).

Bloody snobs, whatā€™s wrong with the 99p shop? :angry:

1 Like

Thatā€™s my choppy needs sorted for the foreseeable.

3 Likes

We have a Robert Welch set, from John Lewis and our Wedding List.

They seem really well made, look nice, and dishwasher safe so fuss freeā€¦

The Santoku (ours is the smaller 11cm version) is lovely although I find the grip slighty on the small side, my wife loves itā€¦:wink:

1 Like

we have had this Robert Welch set for many years, it is very nice

We bought the sharpener as well, its excellent.

Nice knives but you need at least three different grades of Japanese water stones for the full faff knife sharpening experience. That object on the right is convenient :skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

I spent the afternoon sharpening ours, a few Henckels and other ransoms.

Yes various grades of whetstone were involved.

I would like some carbon steel Japanese knives. For no justifiable reason at all.

2 Likes

I now has this, 3000 grit of knife sharpening loveliness :slight_smile:

6 Likes

When I had access to one, and a buffer with some rouge, I could get even junk crazy sharp.

Actually having watched too much forged in fire, I want to make knives :smiley:

3 Likes

Iā€™m toying between getting some diamond stones and a strop, or one of the baby Tormeks.

Given how often you may need to do it a machine might be a good bet. The food factories I deal with use a Dick RS-75. A Dick sharpener. I laugh every time.

4 Likes

Yeah, I donā€™t use knives as heavily as a full on kitchen will, but between the amount of cooking I do, plus plane blades, chisels etc it will probably get a fair degree of use.