Labour leadership runners and riders

Jess Philips is a treasure and as such should be kept away from the dirty job of leadership. She’d make an excellent choice for Health Secretary though.

2 Likes

For me, the elephant in the room is the British electorate. I’ve come to the conclusion that the vast majority of them are fucking stupid (not a profound conclusion I’ll grant). But what that means is that far too many of them are perfectly happy with simple and wrong, because it doesn’t require any thought. The next leader needs to be willing to play that game, and not spend hours giving forth detailed and nuanced responses to people who don’t give a shit about nuance.

As a simple illustration, “Get Brexit done” is half the length of “For the many, not the few”. I’d put good money on significant numbers of the Tory vote being unable to tell you anything about their platform beyond that slogan.

1 Like

Tory Brexit Recession is a possible start.

'Fraid so. She means too well. Sadly the party leader needs to put winning higher up their priority list than she is prepared to do.

VB

Emily Thornbury announces her intention to stand. That’ll help.

I used to think it was the majority, but you’re right - it’s the vast majority.

“Get Brexit Done” may have been simplistic and a complete lie but it was also positive for those people who believe it. A lot of the Labour message was anti-Tory rather than pro-Labour.

It’s going to be a woman.
They have all pretty much said so.

Plenty of people “competent” but few that aren’t tainted by the momentum/remain stain.

All ? All of the people in the Westminster bubble might think so. But they thought Corbyn stood a chance. The leadership is a one-person-one-(transferable)-vote decision. The voters might make that decision based on other criteria.

VB

The election result showed that Labour’s message of ‘For the many not the few’ was actually speaking to very very few. It would be prudent for them to learn exactly what the priorities are of ‘The many’ and offer someone who fits this criteria under a far less ambivalent banner .

I think even the unions fear the back lash from another male candidate.
By all, I mean all apart from those with a direct or indirect (please let me be your deputy…) interest.
You get the sense that the objective “voice” is vehemently pro a women.

Maybe Chuka will switch sides again.:rofl:

2 Likes

I hope I don’t have to vote for any of those listed.

Chucky pulled out last time.
He either has secrets or values his family life!

You’ve had the candidate that you wanted in Corbyn, and he has utterly and completely failed and furthermore put Labour in a position it might take 2 elections or so to recover from.

You might not like any of the candidates, they might not be to your taste and politics, but they do actually stand a chance of being electable and forming a government unlike Magic Grandpa. What use is the manifesto and a hatful of policies if you never get chance to deploy them?

2 Likes

They’re not the candidates, its just a list of who Mark thinks will be.

Oh boy, just need Diane Abbott now

You may not like any of those ‘listed’ then :see_no_evil:

Fact remains, Corbyn and the left of the party have had a go and appeal only to a very small minority. Can’t actually get in government and do anything that they say they want to with that kind of lack of traction.

Maybe its time for, oh I don’t know, some-one who will listen to and be more in tune with the electorate and their current priorities? Just an idea.

I pay my subs and I’ll vote for whoever I fucking want to thanks.

No-one said you couldn’t :man_shrugging:

Just don’t expect them to get elected to government anytime soon.

Or are you holding out that Jezza will carry your torch into the next election too :laughing: