Labour leadership runners and riders

Just don’t whine when you get the same result.

I just put the main ones up from Betfair, 66-1 bar those. If you think someone else is getting it, fill your boots.

Thought Lisa Nandy would have more votes. If I was having a flutter my money would be on her.

I don’t dislike Lisa Nandy but I’ve yet to see her being assertive enough that she’d make any impression on someone as shameless as Johnson. She needs more experience in one of the more challenging shadow ministerial roles. I think she did a bit under Milliband but not enough yet.

Hilary Benn not on option?

1 Like

Keir Starmer, Emily Thornberry too London, bin there done that.
Rebecca Long-Bailey too Corbyn, likewise.
Yvette Cooper too Blair, likewise.
Angela Raynor bottled too early vs Corbyn and quiet since then.
Lisa Nandy, Clive Lewis - Who?

So Jess Phillips. Will need to gradually build cross Labour support but loose the next election but will build a Blair type majority in the 2015 with support from moderates / mid left and sensible policies.

Surprised David lammy is only 66/1

None of them are celebrities, none of them stand for hoofing rights, None of them know how to seduce / leverage Murdoch. None of them have hired or killed Dominic Cummings and his team of physicists. None of them have a golden roller-desk of friendly billionaires. None of them have a clue.

Vote

Stronzetto must get his name down immediately.
He is our only hope… .

Would I vote for Jess Phillips or Rebecca Long Bailey? Yes. Do I think they have a wide enough appeal to win a GE? No.

Phillips comes over as a gobby Brummy, and Long Bailey is probably seen as being too close to Corbyn. This is obviously no reflection on their actual abilities, but let’s face it, the electorate don’t seem to give a shit about that any more.

Lisa Nandy always comes across well, has regularly dealt well with Andrew Neill, and always seems to know her stuff. But she has Asian heritage which might be an issue with the racists. Also her father was a de-facto communist, and an Indian one at that, so the Daily Heil would have a fucking field day with that.

Starmer is obviously statesmanlike, intelligent, able and apparently quite handsome, but tainted as a Blairite.

Thornberry, no chance.

My choice would be either Nandy or Starmer, but Momentum will probably elect RLB.

I reckon Starmer or Philips and move to the centre a smidge if they want to get in power in the next decade.
Or Long-Bailey and we have to wait until Boris gets a bit bored or realises it is all a bit too much like hard work.

I remember voting for the other chap in the last Labour leadership contest. That Welsh bloke. Wish he had won.

So what are you saying, no mass renationalisation programme then?

Free Pravda broadband for all might not make it to the next manifesto…

No lots of things. I reckon they will have to come up with an update on Blairism if they want to be in power again.

This.

Honestly, reading some of the responses here shows me we have no hope at all.

People need to accept and understand the game we’re in before formulating a plan to win. A lot of people here think it’s still about honesty and good policies. Ffs, that boat sailed many years ago.

As Prime minister Jess Philips… Hahahhaa a fucking hell. Yeah, good luck with that.

3 Likes

If Labour fail to build relations with the media and look closely at Cummings’s methods (He himself sees campaigning as being run by silicone valley as the future) Their door knocking / leafleting traditional approach will (And already has) fail(ed)

3 Likes

True. One of the things that the online world in general and social media in particular let you do is respond to the voters’ reactions to your policies. You can publish a thin, generalised manifesto, as the Tories did, and then tweak the detail when you see how the broad stuff has gone down. Of course it helps if your manifesto is cooked up by a small bunch of you and doesn’t have to be haggled over in detail then formally locked down by the party bureaucracy.

Talking of not learning anything from the voters, I heard Claudia Webbe lose it just before 7am on Today this morning. She asserted that Labour’s policies had been popular with the voters. So Nick Robinson asked her, calmly and gently, what evidence she had for this and why, if it was true, the voters had inflicted the worst defeat on Labour in 80 years. Instead of saying “I stood on doorsteps and people agreed time and again with the policies, but they’ve been driven mad by the Brexit fiasco and they haven’t taken to Jeremy” she said (I paraphrase)

LISTEN !!!
WE WERE RIGHT !!!
WE WERE RIGHT !!!
WE WERE RIGHT !!!
WE WERE RIGHT !!!
WE WERE RIGHT !!!
WE WERE RIGHT !!!
WE WERE RIGHT !!!
(repeat ad nauseam)

until eventually he had to switch her mic off and announce the weather. You can hear it from 53:30 here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000cc0p. She made Keith Vaz look good.

VB

1 Like

She knows a lot more about winning elections than that Blair fella :thinking:

Everyone saying Labour and Corbyn lost it but really it was more the ‘Boris factor’ that won it. If May, or even Jeremy Hunt, had been in charge of the Tories it would have been very different.

He might be leacherous, adulterous, lying, corrupt etc, etc but many, many people just don’t care - they have liked him for well over a decade (Top Gear, HIGNFY, Wiff Waff, London Mayor etc, etc) and Labour will have to find someone equally charismatic to challenge him, irrespective of policy. - good luck with that!!