Lawnmower action, Middle age; don't fight it, feel it

I have used normal honda mowers for years, current one is pushing 12 years old now. Not so sure about the Izy range. I think my next one will be a still 'leccy model. If you have a look around some places where chucking in a charger and battery, or spare battery at the normal retail price.

I did look at electric, I already have a fair number of items in the LXT range

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita-dlm460z-twin-18v-lxt-brushless-36v-lawn-mower-460mm-body-only

I have a Worx 40v mower which is excellent, I have 2 batteries and 2 chargers, the second is unnecessary as 1 battery will do all of the lawn. The only problem is that when I put the batteries on charge, if I donā€™t remove them from the charger when fully charged they discharge themselves!

How much running time do you get out of a single charge?

50 minutes on a 7.5AH battery with normal length grass - It take 30 mins to cut my grass

1 Like

My decision to go electric was based on the fact that I could have a decent set of garden electric tools a few 56v batteries and one charger. So I have a blower, chainsaw hedge trimmer strimmer and a lawmower.

Call yerself a petrolhead?!

#NoLawnTooSmall

Went with the Makita in the end, black friday dealā€¦

How much is the battery and charger

With two batteries and a charger, it is Ā£441.

1 Like

I already have two batteries and a charger :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™ve got the smallest Makita 18v mower, think it was around Ā£100 from B&Q, the battery lasts just long enough to cut the grass so itā€™s adequate.

3-years later and since we moved, the lawn size is about 3-times the area so the LXT mower is not really cutting it. Two batteries will cut around 2/3rds of the back garden, and can do the front on a full charge if I have not left it too long. There will eventually be 6 trees to go round now the fruit trees are planted and new grass bedding in.

I pretty much always mulch and the front garden is going to be more of a wildflower meadow style rather than formal lawn.

No I donā€™t need a ride on but a powered mower with a larger cutting blade would be useful, the Honda HRS 536 looks good, any ā€˜sensibleā€™ advice?

IMG_6430

2 Likes

We got an American Toro Timemaster, 30" cut walk behind, when we moved to a much bigger plot nearly 8 years ago.

The 190cc Briggs Stratton starts every time, usually first pull.
Itā€™s a bit underpowered if you let it grow a bit too long and mulch.
Bag or side exit itā€™s pretty good.
It does clog up and needs washing under deck.
Some rust there too but stopped that with Tetrosyl stonechipā€¦

I messed about with add on roller for stripesšŸ™„

A couple of years ago they beefed the engine up to 230cc and also improved the transmission.
Transmission on ours gave up after 6 years. I repaired it with a brass bush instead of split nylon one.

I can cut the same area as our neighbour who has a ride on, in half the time.
He has to get a little mower out to do faffy bits.
He has less borders and trees, raised beds etc too!
The Toro does it all in one hit. 2 miles walk toošŸ™‚

He wanted a big walk behind but family got him a little ride on for a presentā€¦

They make smaller ones tooā€¦

:open_mouth:

Need is NOT the point!

3 Likes

I bought this Hyundai as it was universally well reviewed and I sought one out at a good price.

I suppose I could go retro and dice with death

I have recently bought a Hyundai battery powered mower, very pleased with it, the 3 year warranty swung it for me.

Had one of those, many years ago.
It was alright.