Le Cleach profile

The fun of the turneršŸ‘

1 Like

The last time I heard your syststem was in the old place, you had a room leading on to the garden if I remember correctly?
It is looking very diiferent now :smile:

Thatā€™s right.
Different house, well a Thatched cottage in the New Forest. This is a loft room over a large double garage.

3 Likes

Just in case you thought they were smallā€¦

From the side, the mid base horns are pretty long.
I really should get around to finishing the throat extensions sometime - wonā€™t sound any different thoughšŸ˜‚
The tapped horns are 2.2 or was it 2.4m long? of course. Make useful low sideboards in this room.

2 Likes

The 550Hz full wrap mouth Le C horn project is forming in my mind.

I have lots of free, well seasoned Douglas Fir, so will laminate up blocks to the necessary sizing over the profile.
Iā€™m picturing it all in my mind.
Gonna be free and fun.

2 Likes

I have been listening to the system yesterday and today to get the sound in my head before swapping in the tractrix. Only problem is, I canā€™t find the bloody things! I think they are in the garage and have a huge amount of things between me and them. Will go and have a look later. :+1:

2 Likes

Good luck. Just dive inšŸ˜€

1 Like

Definitely not enough stuff in your living room, get some more clutter in there! :+1:

:disappointed:

1 Like

550Hz Le C profiler now plotted on the template plywood.
Jigsaw whirring this evening or tomorrow.

Then gluing of blocks, unless Ritchie reports back that Tractrix horns actually sound betteršŸ˜‚

1 Like

Here is the plywood template

Ritchie, could you measure the length and diameter of your horn (ooh er!:grinning:).
Perpendicular length from throat start, to front most curvey point of the mouth, and diameter - centre of front most prominent to centre of front most prominent of the mouth.
Be interesting to see how yours compares with that which Hornresp generated for me.

No need to measure Ritchie. Iā€™ve found the Azura 550 measurements.

Iā€™m gluing wood blocks at the moment.

What T-factor did you use?

T=1 is an exponential
T=0 is a hyperbolic
T=0.707 is a Hypex

thes all result in different lengths.

(BTW, If T= infinity, you get a conical)

The AZ550s Ritchie has have T=0.8 and I belive Martin used the spreadsheets to calculate. Hornresp should be the same though, as Jean-Michel supplied the maths.

The LeCleacā€™h profile is fundamentally an exponential, where it differs is the calculation method in that it uses an isophase model for the wavefront geometry vs a planar assumption for a traditional exponential calculation.

It might be worth experimenting with T-factors >1 - this results in a shorter horn and trades LF loading for directivity control at HF, so you need to cross higher with higher T-factor.

The EMIA drivers I have use something like 2.3 or 2.5.

While experimenting itā€™d also be interesting to try an oblate-spheroid profile.

Sorry Steve, trying to balance working , cooking and housework whilst Kerri looks after ill adolescent!

1 Like

Please award yourself with this strap line.

2 Likes

More like Obtuse haemorrhoid :joy::joy::joy:

I can just picture you in one of those pinnies with naughty bits on :exploding_head:

1 Like

Hang on while I check. Must be very close to 0.8 because the dimensions are almost identical.

Did all that just drop it off your brain on to the keyboard? Super impressed

Yes, I have way too much of this shit swirling around in my head. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting.
I set it to be similar to Azura in length -
missing the fact that his sizes quote for 1" throat.
If I put his parameters in I get the same size.
Does Martin use the same T for 1.5" throat?
I was using 0. Thatā€™s why itā€™s longer.

Going to 0.8 itā€™s only 16.42cm long. Faster flare = easier to turn :slightly_smiling_face:

Hornresp only allows upper 1.5 T.